Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Refresh - What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 08:27 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Suspension Refresh - What would you do?

I'm updating my front suspension this weekend. I replaced the struts a month ago, and I'll be replacing everything else in the next couple days. I've seen many articles and "how to's" to replace each individual part, but I cannot find anything that shows the complete job, start to finish.

My question is, how would you guys go about this? Do you think there's a certain order of preference that would make things easier for me? Would it matter the order of what part goes back on, or would it not make that big of a difference? Any tips/tricks would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 05-31-2019, 10:48 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 474 Posts

After you do it once, it will get a lot easier. I've pulled the suspension apart on the two Boxsters I have about half a dozen times for various reasons. Here's the order I'd use:
  1. Wheel (duh).
  2. Caliper.
  3. Lower control arm.
  4. Tie rod.
  5. Ball joint.
  6. Drop link (the bolt through the strut).
  7. Top of strut.
Overall, this is an easy job, unless you run into binding issues. I've had to heat bolts to get them to break loose, and recently I had to beat the snot out of the drop link to get it to release from the wheel carrier; but other than that, it's been pretty easy front and rear. And that includes replacing the inner CV boot in the back.

Hints and tips:
  1. If you're doing this job yourself, you'll find it useful to use a jack under the wheel carrier to load and unload pressure on the suspension. This helps make things line up so that bolts go in and out easier.
  2. Make sure you hang the caliper. There's a small perch where the brake line is clipped to the wheel well. I zip tie mine to that.
  3. When you remove the bolt holding the lower control arm to the coffin arm, the lower control arm should just pivot out of the way with moderate effort.
  4. I use the $20 Harbor Freight ball joint separator to get the ball joints apart. The thing works like a champ.
  5. If you don't need to remove the entire wheel carrier (i.e.: You're only replacing the strut), you can do it without releasing the ball joint. You still need to undo the lower control arm and push it aside. But after you remove the drop link from the wheel carrier, the strut will be able to move up and down in the wheel carrier. At this point, you can undo the three top nuts and the strut and wheel carrier will drop down and you can rotate the top of the strut outward to clear the wheel well.
  6. Unless you're replacing the coffin arm, don't touch the bolt holding it to the chassis, that will screw up your alignment.
  7. If you're replacing the tie rod ends, you can back off the retaining bolt a little, then put the new tie rod end on and retighten. Then you can most likely get away without doing an alignment.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:33 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
After you do it once, it will get a lot easier. I've pulled the suspension apart on the two Boxsters I have about half a dozen times for various reasons. Here's the order I'd use:
  1. Wheel (duh).
  2. Caliper.
  3. Lower control arm.
  4. Tie rod.
  5. Ball joint.
  6. Drop link (the bolt through the strut).
  7. Top of strut.
Overall, this is an easy job, unless you run into binding issues. I've had to heat bolts to get them to break loose, and recently I had to beat the snot out of the drop link to get it to release from the wheel carrier; but other than that, it's been pretty easy front and rear. And that includes replacing the inner CV boot in the back.

Hints and tips:
  1. If you're doing this job yourself, you'll find it useful to use a jack under the wheel carrier to load and unload pressure on the suspension. This helps make things line up so that bolts go in and out easier.
  2. Make sure you hang the caliper. There's a small perch where the brake line is clipped to the wheel well. I zip tie mine to that.
  3. When you remove the bolt holding the lower control arm to the coffin arm, the lower control arm should just pivot out of the way with moderate effort.
  4. I use the $20 Harbor Freight ball joint separator to get the ball joints apart. The thing works like a champ.
  5. If you don't need to remove the entire wheel carrier (i.e.: You're only replacing the strut), you can do it without releasing the ball joint. You still need to undo the lower control arm and push it aside. But after you remove the drop link from the wheel carrier, the strut will be able to move up and down in the wheel carrier. At this point, you can undo the three top nuts and the strut and wheel carrier will drop down and you can rotate the top of the strut outward to clear the wheel well.
  6. Unless you're replacing the coffin arm, don't touch the bolt holding it to the chassis, that will screw up your alignment.
  7. If you're replacing the tie rod ends, you can back off the retaining bolt a little, then put the new tie rod end on and retighten. Then you can most likely get away without doing an alignment.

Shawn, THANK YOU SIR! That's exactly what I needed
Old 05-31-2019, 09:22 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...n_Overhaul.htm

pelican parts technical articles have helped me immeasurably over the years
Old 06-03-2019, 10:39 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
pelican parts technical articles have helped me immeasurably over the years
The '101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster' book is also well worth the money.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:46 AM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

And very reasonably priced!

Quick Reply: Suspension Refresh - What would you do?