Sponsored by:

Track trouble on the 2->3 upshift

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 02:42 PM
takearide
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track trouble on the 2->3 upshift

I have a problem with my 2002 Boxster S (6MT) that I have not been able to find any reference to online from another owner.

At this point I mainly track drive my 2002 Boxster S at DEs, and it has seen many modifications over the years. Over the past couple of years, I have started to experience a problem that only occurs after 15 minutes or so on the track and everything is heated up. After downshifting to second for a slow corner and accelerating out of the corner. the shifter will feel like third gear is "blocked" on the upshift and l have to double clutch, put it back in 2nd and back to 3rd.

This only happens when the car is on the track and only when the car is hot. I have had this car for twelve years and have loved it.

Has anyone had a similar issue and have any advise?

I am leaning towards a transmission rebuild with a replaced 2-3 synchro.

Last edited by takearide; 05-15-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:50 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by takearide
I have a problem with my 2002 Boxster S that I have not been able to find any reference to online from another owner.

At this point I mainly track drive my 2002 Boxster S at DEs, and it has seen many modifications over the years. Over the past couple of years, I have started to experience a problem that only occurs after 15 minutes or so on the track and everything is heated up. After downshifting to second for a slow corner and accelerating out of the corner. the shifter will feel like third gear is "blocked" on the upshift and l have to double clutch, put it back in 2nd and back to third.

This only happens when the car is on the track and only when the car is hot. I have had this car for twelve years and have loved it.

Has any one had a similar issue and have any advise?

I am leaning towards a transmission rebuild with a replaced 2-3 synchro.

Probably need to replace engine & transmission mounts. California Motorsports shift arrester helps too. Check out their website.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:16 PM
takearide
Rennlist Member

That was my one of my first thoughts, that the powertrain was shifting under load. The engine mount is 2-3 years old. I replaced the transmission mounts with the Wevo mounts last year to no avail.

Anybody think it is worth trying the Numeric shift cables before I pull the transmission?
Old 05-17-2019, 12:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by takearide
That was my one of my first thoughts, that the powertrain was shifting under load. The engine mount is 2-3 years old. I replaced the transmission mounts with the Wevo mounts last year to no avail.

Anybody think it is worth trying the Numeric shift cables before I pull the transmission?
Before you throw hardware at the behavior if you haven't done it recently (or even if you have do it again) flush and bleed the brake hydraulic system and the *clutch* hydraulic system.

I experienced clutch and shifting issue on the street at normal temperatures from brake/clutch fluid that was just 2.5 old.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:53 PM
takearide
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the idea, unfortunately we did bleed the clutch last year with no improvement and I bleed the brakes several times a year so the fluid is fresh.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:12 AM
The Radium King
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

well, i don't experience quite the same thing, but shifting at the track gets very vague for me when things get hot. like you, most noticeable in the moves between 2 and 3 (such that i once hit 1 on an upshift to 3 ...). got better when i put stiffer transmission mounts in (rennline with street/track rubbers). less noticeable improvement when i put a function first street/track engine mount insert in. i think shift cable getting hot (run over the engine) are part of the issue so thinking cup (numeric) cable should help things but not had the chance to install/test yet.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:41 PM
takearide
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:22 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

I suspect there is something amiss with the synchronizer for 3rd gear, or the 3rd/4th operating assembly (synchro hub and sleeve). Which is not surprising given the use you give the car and its age. It is also possible that there's an issue with the shift fork or its rod. Let me know if I can help.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:07 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be the cables.
I had a similar problem and it turned out the cable sleeve was sliding at the transmission.We put a clamp on it ad no proble since

YMMV
Old 05-27-2019, 03:25 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I have new never installed numeric cables I will sell.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:11 PM
takearide
Rennlist Member

PM sent
Old 05-30-2019, 11:46 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts

Following, I have a similiar problem sometimes on the track, but very intermittent.
Old 04-05-2024, 01:04 AM
Grateful
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm experiencing the same thing as the OP on track on my 04 S. Did new shift cables resolve the issue? I have flushed the brake/clutch fluid and installed new engine/transmission mounts. Thanks

Quick Reply: Track trouble on the 2->3 upshift