Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to rule out a leaky spark plug, any help? With pictures:)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 05:29 PM
Moteeb Nain
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Trying to rule out a leaky spark plug, any help? With pictures:)

Hey Guys!

My engine used to only create white smoke upon high revs from the right side (not exhaust) but now does so every time I daily drive it. I took a look at the engine and here's what I saw:

https://imgur.com/a/VxDwr5Q

The last picture is from down under, hopefully the spark plug arrow provides context.

The second spark plug area is very clean so I think that the oil is dripping from there? Not sure if this is a head-gasket sealing issue but since its mid-engine, redoing it would be sorta hard, especially for a beginner. Lost and any help would be great
Old 03-30-2019, 05:47 PM
BRC
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The coil pack bolts are missing in that first picture...did you take them out yourself before taking the pic?

Edit: Actually I see them in the second pic. The rubber seals on the coil pack could still be bad though, they don't age well
Old 03-30-2019, 06:24 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The spark plug isn't leaking, The plastic tube inside is leaking--it's cracked or has a bad seal. If you take the coil out and the spark plug and reach in with a finger, you'll probably find that it's really oily in there. Getting the old tube out can be difficult & you don't want it to break, it will shed small shards of plastic if you do. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:06 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Wow, you got some serious oil leak around your coil packs. Like other state, get those plug seals replaced.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:55 PM
SpIcEz
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its probably the spark plug tubes.

I had to do this over the winter.

The tubes where fine, but the oring seals where old.

Pics here:
Cylinders 3-2-1
Cylinders 4-5-6
Old 04-05-2019, 09:50 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 466 Posts

I did the plug tubes on my '01. It wasn't a difficult, but it was fiddly at times. I also did spark plugs and coils at the same time. The first one took me 30 or 45 minutes while I figured it all out. By the end I was doing coil, plug, and tube in about 10 minutes.

The new plug tubes are *tight*, which is how they should be. I eventually settled on the method of greasing the o-rings, inserting them as far as possible with my hand, and then putting the butt end of a claw hammer against it and seating it with a few taps on the head of the hammer with a rubber mallet.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:08 PM
hbrewer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To get them out, use a 1 inch boat transom plug, stick it in the sparkplug tube, tighten it with the t handle and pull it out.

Quick Reply: Trying to rule out a leaky spark plug, any help? With pictures:)