Sponsored by:

Lost key, locked out of car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 08:42 AM
aldo964
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lost key, locked out of car!

Yesterday I somehow managed to loose the only key I have to my Boxster, I have no idea how. All I know is that when I went to go home I didn't have the key and the alarm was activated! I asked around, etc but nobody had found the key. As I didn't want to leave the car where it was I called a tow truck and had it taken home.

Today I've been able to open the trunk and frunk to disconect the battery (I'd left the lights on)

I don't have another key for this car, so I really need to get in to it as my iPhone's in there, and I'd like to have a look if somehow the key might be under the seats or something, although I don't see how it would be possible to lock the key inside the cockpit.

Even if i were to order a new key from Porsche I'd still need to get into it to retrieve proof of ownership.
So I really don't know what to do! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by aldo964; 03-10-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by aldo964
Yesterday I somehow managed to loose the only key I have to my Boxster, I have no idea how. All I know is that when I went to go home I didn't have the key and the alarm was activated! I asked around, etc but nobody had found the key. As I didn't want to leave the car where it was I called a tow truck and had it taken home.

Today I've been able to open the trunk and frunk to disconect the battery (I'd left the lights on)

I don't have another key for this car, so I really need to get in to it as my iPhone's in there, and I'd like to have a look if somehow the key might be under the seats or something, although I don't see how it would be possible to lock the key inside the cockpit.

Even if i were to order a new key from Porsche I'd still need to get into it to retrieve proof of ownership.
So I really don't know what to do! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Often a tow truck operator carries a kit to enable him to open a locked car, or if when you call for a tow and mention you are locked out of the car a tow truck with a kit will be sent. The car could have been unlocked and you could have checked for the key.

So, the car is home. Call the local dealer and see if it can recommend a lock smith or tow truck company or somebody that can come to your location and unlock the car.

Or maybe the dealer service has a way to get into the car.

Unless you find the key you'll have to get new ones. The blades are tied to the VIN I think. The new keys will come with a new RFID pill and each pill's ID will have to be introduced to the car's security system. (At the same time the ID's present will have to be removed as the keys are gone/lost.) The car must be at the dealer for this so you will I guess have to tow the car to the dealer.

Might add that when I drove my Boxster or Turbo I always carried two keys. A regular key in my left hand pocket and in the right hand pocket on a small key chain the valet key.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:57 PM
aldo964
Instructor

Kudos to Porsche for making these little cars so secure. I’ve been at it for 2 days and can’t even get in to it.

Not that there would have been any other possible solution, but I’ve ordered a new key, that way I’ll be able to sleep at night knowing that the old key(s) have been deactivated. Not cheep but money well spent I guess.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Kudos to Porsche for making these little cars so secure. I’ve been at it for 2 days and can’t even get in to it.

Not that there would have been any other possible solution, but I’ve ordered a new key, that way I’ll be able to sleep at night knowing that the old key(s) have been deactivated. Not cheep but money well spent I guess.
The only way I know "old" keys can be deactivated is to remove their ID numbers from the car's security system. The blade of the old keys will still fit the door lock and the ignition switch, but the RFID pill ID will be rejected and the starter will not be allowed to crank the engine.

While the new key will have the right blade its RFID will have to be introduced to the car's security system so its RFID pill ID will be accepted and the starter allowed to crank the the engine. Additionally steps will have to be taken to allow the new key's buttons to work the car's locking system and front/rear trunk lid latches.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:42 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Forgive the expression, but you have to "think like a thief"! When in doubt, call a mobile locksmith.

Also, please report back if you can get keys made from Porsche. I've seen mixed reports on this topic. I read a thread where the guy to towed the car to the Porsche dealership with no keys, they ended up requiring him to purchase a new alarm module to the tune of +$2000.00. Hope that's not the case for you.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:43 AM
aldo964
Instructor

I was able to get a new key from Porsche for €400 including programming, so all is well
Old 04-03-2019, 12:36 PM
chim_chim
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to get a new key from Porsche for €400 including programming, so all is well
Just one? :+)

Quick Reply: Lost key, locked out of car!