Sponsored by:

Quiet Boxter Tires PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 11:52 PM
Dr. C
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Geof3
I’m due for new tires this spring, after much research, seems the the Sumitomo’s are the best bang for the buck in my size (big 19’s)... and I agree alignment is possibly part of the issue.

and BTW it’s BoxSter with an S...
HA! You'd think after owning this car for 17 years I wouldn't misspell that.....

It appears I can't remove myself from this deep pit of humiliation without the help of an administrator/moderator. If any of you who have the magic powers to fix my misspelled thread title do so, I'll buy you a beverage sometime!!!

Old 03-27-2019, 11:53 PM
Dr. C
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

UPDATE!

I have four new Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires on the bawkster.

I can tell you most, but not all, of the noise I was experiencing is now gone.

I am absolutely NOT a tire expert, but to me the Continental tires appear to be more supple; more comfy to cruise down the freeway on. I can't comment on tire compound, but the less aggressive tread pattern seems to have gotten rid of most of the problem. I'm still going to poke around a bit and make sure everything else is as it should be, but for now I am back to driving it again and liking it.

For what it's worth, the latest issue of Excellence(May 2019) has a really informative article on Porsche Tire Technology on page 91. The Porsche Tech Notes 2019 also had a nice article starting on page 70. Good reading.
The following users liked this post:
Marko888 (03-06-2022)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:13 AM
brianmch
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BFT3.2
For two summers I ran the Conti ExtremeContact Sports(summer only tire) on my street legal 986 track car (not to be confused with the Extreme Contact DWS or DWS06 all-season tires). They are fantastic for performance and longevity but are definitely loud and would not use for a daily driver. I love them on track though..

This Nov. I put narrower Conti DWS06 on the Boxster for winter driving. Immediately upon driving I found them to be 100% quieter then the "Sports" and much more supple for a softer ride but with considerably more tire squirm when I was out of curiosity "testing" their side to side response. In practice though for a daily driver performance car where noise and ride are very important to someone, they would be a perfect choice. Will be much better in standing water then the Sports.

On my 2004 Audi Allroad I have the Michelin AS3+. While they are a all-season tire they are also a high performance one and were noisier and firmer then I expected but completely fine for me, they actually made the heavy Allroad much more fun to drive.

The AS3+ are more noisy and firm then the Conti DWS06 but less then the Conti ECS. The Conti ECS and the Michelin 4S are near identical tires for reference.
Thanks for chiming in here. I've tracked my 01 Box a couple times with the DWS 06 and found them to be pretty soft. Since its my daily noise and comfort are both in my consciousness so I find them to provide a good balance. I run 18's with a smaller sidewall so the flex isn't as much as on my wife's Box DWS06's on 16's.

The AS3+ fronts are noisier and harder. They also lack the bite the DWS06's have in light snow so I've got to be careful at turn-in.

Want some dedicated summers but I'm tight so will probably keep my current setup.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:06 AM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 67 Posts

Good sumation Brian and similar experiences. If my car wasn't dedicated for track and I had to pick one high performance 3-season tire, I think it would be the AS3+ with the DWS06 a close second, both great in the rain, cold and very sporty. If light snow were in the mix then the DWS06.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:57 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Kumho ps31

Black
Round
Cheap
Quiet
Comfortable
400 treadwear ratinf

(they howl on the track though) I got a set of used toyo r1r's on cayman rims for the track

Quick Reply: Quiet Boxter Tires PLEASE