Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing USA Boxster to Europe - Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 05:41 AM
rondecline
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing USA Boxster to Europe - Performance?

Just a quick question.

I live in Europe and I am looking to buy a Boxster imported from the States.

Do US cars have any modifications which affect performance vs. European cars? I remember vaguely that cars in California, for example, have some mods to comply with emissions laws that reduce power. Is this true?

TIA
Old 05-29-2019, 10:28 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

I can't believe there is enough HP to justify shipping a Boxster from USA to Europe. Usually the European cars (thinking 911s) have a few more horses than USA cars.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:48 AM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rondecline
Just a quick question.

Do US cars have any modifications which affect performance vs. European cars? I remember vaguely that cars in California, for example, have some mods to comply with emissions laws that reduce power. Is this true?

TIA
All North American P-cars are made to pass the requirements of the most strict state or states/countries, which, happens to be California and come with a sticker that confirms it was manufactured to meet California emission standard. The boxster was no different. One of the reasons Porsche started developing water cooled platforms was the fact that they had more options to decrease hydrocarbon emissions vs. air cooled as the requirements where becoming increasingly more difficult.

I am unfamiliar with European emission requirements or standards nor the differences in performance a North American boxster vs. a European boxster but feel I can add a perspective of the performance of a North American boxster in general. I owned a '72 911S from Finland which was a screamer...very fast. I currently have a North American '02 boxsterS which is faster than the 911 was.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:20 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

While boxa.net is a UK site, they may have more insight into the importing into the EU rules.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:41 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by rondecline
Just a quick question.

TIA
In some cases -- some MYs at least -- European cars don't have the #2 O2 sensors -- sensors after the converters -- to monitor converter performance. Also, I believe the secondary air injection system was not present. Not sure if these differences had any affect on power output.

Primarily the biggest difference in Europe is the availability of premium gasoline, 98 RON, is very good. 98 RON is the equivalent to 93 AKI here. And a lot of areas of the country -- CA for one -- doesn't even have 93 AKI available just 91 AKI.

The time I got to use 93 AKI in my Turbo the engine's reaction was quite remarkable. It was clear then how performance was impacted by 91 AKI gasoline.

Quick Reply: Importing USA Boxster to Europe - Performance?