Sponsored by:

2001 boxster

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 02:43 AM
spookey01
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2001 boxster

I was jamming down the freeway about 100 mph .I saw smoke start to come out the driver side and the back.I got out to a safe area stoped and saw oil on the floor it was a lot but it was not motor oil ,nor transmission oil ,it felt thin and the color was almost see threw.I tried to move forward ,put the car in drive it would rev. but not move either front nor back . Dose anyone know what it might be?
Old 02-19-2019, 11:27 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by spookey01
I was jamming down the freeway about 100 mph .I saw smoke start to come out the driver side and the back.I got out to a safe area stoped and saw oil on the floor it was a lot but it was not motor oil ,nor transmission oil ,it felt thin and the color was almost see threw.I tried to move forward ,put the car in drive it would rev. but not move either front nor back . Dose anyone know what it might be?
One fluid that I know that nearly fits the description is power steering fluid (Pentosin), at least when fresh. I never changed the fluid in my 2002 Boxster and after some time the fluid no longer translucent.

Brake fluid also sort of matches the description and it stands a better chance of bring fresh(er) as brake fluid flushes are called for every 2 years.

In cars equipped with a manual transmission the clutch hydraulic system shares brake fluid with the brake system. If your car has a manual transmission and if the clutch hydraulic system failed this could account for the fluid and possibly the lack of movement of the car.

Regardless you will need to get the car to a qualified shop -- flat bed it there -- and get the problem diagnosed and fixed.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:34 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
One fluid that I know that nearly fits the description is power steering fluid (Pentosin), at least when fresh. I never changed the fluid in my 2002 Boxster and after some time the fluid no longer translucent.

Brake fluid also sort of matches the description and it stands a better chance of bring fresh(er) as brake fluid flushes are called for every 2 years.

In cars equipped with a manual transmission the clutch hydraulic system shares brake fluid with the brake system. If your car has a manual transmission and if the clutch hydraulic system failed this could account for the fluid and possibly the lack of movement of the car.

Regardless you will need to get the car to a qualified shop -- flat bed it there -- and get the problem diagnosed and fixed.
It sounds like the car has an automatic transmission (he mentioned putting it in drive.) I would suspect if he crawled under, he'd see where the oil is coming from and my guess would be the transmission.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
It sounds like the car has an automatic transmission (he mentioned putting it in drive.) I would suspect if he crawled under, he'd see where the oil is coming from and my guess would be the transmission.
Good catch. I missed the "drive".

Quick Reply: 2001 boxster