Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic Emergency Run due to idle or interior water damage?

Old 02-07-2019, 09:57 PM
Really
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tiptronic Emergency Run due to idle or interior water damage?

Hi all,

I recently some water damage to the interior of my 03 Boxster. Just had the M535 immobilizer replaced, the board was corroded from water getting in as the rear convertible top seam is loose. For about 90 days, I just thought it had a dead battery, and wasn't driving it because we've had record-breaking rainfall in my area this year. Well, I've just spent 1500$ to replace this part and I've gotten it back from the dealership, only to have it go into tiptronic emergency run within the first 100 miles. Now, usually the culprit for this is the selector "multifunction" switch. Last year, the multifunction switch on the tranny had some issue and I spent around 1k having it replaced with a brand new one.

It gives both the "Selector lever not engaged" and "Tiptronic Emergency Run" errors, with the blinking "D" and "4". When this happened last year, I couldn't even drive the car in limp mode because I couldn't get the tranny past 2nd. This time, maybe from playing around with it, maybe because it's a different problem, I figured out how to get the car into the higher gears by pressing the tip buttons when in automatic mode. At least, I think that's what did it. By the time I got the car home last night, it was driving normally except for the error message and blinking lights, and had no problem stopping at red lights and getting back up to 4th on it's own.

I suspect that the tip error is either related to the water damage on the interior of the car, or leaving the car idle for that three month period. If it is not the multifunction switch, or the fluid level, does anyone have any more ideas on what the culprit might be? Are there interior electronics that can cause this fault that may also have been affected from excess moisture in the car?
Thanks!

Last edited by Really; 02-09-2019 at 11:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (10-02-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 04:38 PM
Jonny B
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any answers?

Hi

​​​​​​I've been searching for a fix to a very similar problem with my 986. I'm wondering if you fixed your issue and if so how?
Thanks!
​​​​
Old 09-27-2023, 07:49 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonny B
Hi

​​​​​​I've been searching for a fix to a very similar problem with my 986. I'm wondering if you fixed your issue and if so how?
Thanks!
​​​​
I say give him another year or two to get it ironed out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tiptronic Emergency Run due to idle or interior water damage?