Sponsored by:

Heated seat question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 02:04 PM
stratguy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated seat question...

I read online that all Boxsters have the heating elements in the seats, but only had the switches installed if your car was spec'd with heated seats. A simple installation of the switches gives you heated seats.

Is this total nonsense???
Old 02-03-2019, 04:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by stratguy
I read online that all Boxsters have the heating elements in the seats, but only had the switches installed if your car was spec'd with heated seats. A simple installation of the switches gives you heated seats.

Is this total nonsense???
My 2nd hand info is Porsche didn't make it a habit of putting in options only to stop short of the last step to make them functional.

There is a cost involved in putting a heated seat or seats in a car and the extra price for the option is intended to cover this cost and leave Porsche (and the dealer) with a bit of extra profit.

But easy enough to check. Raise the seat and use a bright light and a mirror on a stick and look for the heating elements. The few times I looked under the seats of my Boxster and Turbo I never spotted anything that looked remotely like heating elements. And the wiring that they need.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:02 PM
stratguy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Macster, I thought it sounded ridiculous.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:33 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 445 Posts

More likely that the wiring harness to support the heated seat elements is in place in all cars.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:33 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
More likely that the wiring harness to support the heated seat elements is in place in all cars.
I'm not so sure. There have been discussions about swapping a Tip into a manual equipped car or a manual into a Tip equipped car and my recollection is the wiring harness to support the new transmission in the car does not have all the connections. One has to get the wiring harness from the donor car.

But a peek under the seats should spot the wiring for the heated seats. And removing the center console will also give one a chance to confirm if the wiring for the switches is present.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:03 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
I'm not so sure. There have been discussions about swapping a Tip into a manual equipped car or a manual into a Tip equipped car and my recollection is the wiring harness to support the new transmission in the car does not have all the connections. One has to get the wiring harness from the donor car. But a peek under the seats should spot the wiring for the heated seats. And removing the center console will also give one a chance to confirm if the wiring for the switches is present.
I know that in the Cayenne there are options in the wiring harness regardless of if they're purchased, like the tow package. The Boxster will support the two additional gauges on the 996 instrument cluster. So, it's worth a look.

Quick Reply: Heated seat question...