What is my next move?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 10:57 PM
tt9714
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is my next move?

Vehicle: 1999 Boxster; 28K miles; original engine; no IMS replacement

Symptoms: No start; Turn key and hear clicking noise at starter. Starter motor does not turn. Dashboard lights dim with key at start position. Car running fine previously.

Diagnosis (so far):
  • Confirmed battery good charge
  • DME no fault codes per Durametric
  • Starting system OK (ignition switch; starter relay; starter)
  • Removed serpentine belt to see if anything else is locked -> nothing else is locked
  • Removed all 6 spark plugs -> all spark plugs dry; crankshaft rotates only +/- 5 degrees with all plugs out
What is the next step for diagnosis?
  • drain oil: inspect oil filter for metal; remove oil pan and inspect for metal?
  • inspect inside of cylinders using endoscope / borescope through spark plug holes?

Last edited by tt9714; 01-31-2019 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:39 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by tt9714
crankshaft rotates only +/- 5 degrees with all plugs out
Hmm, this is disconcerting. Is the engine locked by itself or is the starter engaged and stuck to the flywheel?
Old 01-31-2019, 12:54 AM
tt9714
Racer

Engine locked by itself. Removed starter for inspection.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:53 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Vehicle: 1999 Boxster; 28K miles; original engine; no IMS replacement...
  • drain oil: inspect oil filter for metal; remove oil pan and inspect for metal?
  • inspect inside of cylinders using endoscope / borescope through spark plug holes?
Sounds good for the next steps. How are you trying to rotate the engine, only with the starter or with a socket on the crankshaft... or rolling the car while in gear?
Old 01-31-2019, 11:25 AM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Crank Position Sensor failure?
Old 01-31-2019, 11:42 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Symptoms: No start; Turn key and hear clicking noise at starter. Starter motor does not turn. Dashboard lights dim with key at start position. Car running fine previously.

Diagnosis (so far):
  • Removed serpentine belt to see if anything else is locked -> nothing else is locked
  • Removed all 6 spark plugs -> all spark plugs dry; crankshaft rotates only +/- 5 degrees with all plugs out
Are you sure you can't rotate the engine any more than just plus/minus 5 degrees? For an engine to lock up like that with no signs of any engine distress before it was shut off and the cylinders free of any oil or water is not a behavior I have ever come across.

If the engine is truly locked then you need to verify the starter is not stuck engaged.

If it is not then don't bother draining the oil or removing the pan or inspecting the bores. If engine is locked up and there is not an external explanation for this: Stuck starter, a transmission not in neutral, the engine has to come out of the car and the engine torn down to determine what caused the engine to lock up.

A broken cam chain, a snapped cam, something internal and something major and something expensive to address has gone wrong.

If the engine is not locked, that reads like power to the starter solenoid is not good and the clicking is the starter solenoid moving back and forth but not making it far enough to activate the starter.

If you are sure about the battery being good -- and they can "look" good but when called upon to produce the electrical power necessary to start an engine show their true condition -- then I would suspect the power/ground connections between the battery and the starter and the chassis are suspect.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:38 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Diagnosis (so far):
Clicking, not clunking? maybe the starter has given up
Old 01-31-2019, 01:30 PM
Booker42
Rennlist Member

Did you have the warm start issue before? By this I mean the car would have difficulty cranking after the engine was warm? The starter/generator wiring harness on early 986s were too small and a thicker upgraded harness is now available.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...when-warm.html

From the 997 forum but applicable to 986
Old 01-31-2019, 02:55 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

lights dim and starter clicking sounds like a bad battery to me. how many volts is the battery producing?

it wouldn't explain why you can't rotate the engine. I'll defer to more knowledgeable minds on that one
Old 01-31-2019, 08:47 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My opinion is you have something broken inside the engine--a rod or rod bearing? Or a timing chain? Or a IMS bearing failure.

Time to pull the engine and investigate ant then decide whether to fix/replace the engine. One of those situations where it really helps to be an adventurous DYI'er.

Sorry, sorta been there, done that. The pain in the wallet still is giving me trouble--or is that a back ache?
Old 02-01-2019, 01:48 AM
tt9714
Racer

Thanks everyone for your feedback and comments.
UPDATE TODAY:
  • removed starter/solenoid from car to confirm that is not causing issue -> CONFIRMED
  • inspected all 6 cylinders using endoscope/borescope video camera through spark plug holes -> NOTHING UNUSUAL
  • removed oil filter cartridge & inspected along with oil in filter housing -> NOTHING UNUSUAL
  • confirmed no oil leaks under car at bellhousing/block flange
  • crankshaft only rotates +/- 5-10 degrees using wrench on crank bolt and ~75 ft*lb torque (estimated) -> SAME AS YESTERDAY
    • transmission in neutral
    • same with clutch pedal up or down
Are there any more diagnostics I can do while engine is still in the car?
I assume first step is transmission removal to inspect clutch and IMS area?
Old 02-01-2019, 03:14 AM
sequel95
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I would drop the pan and see what treasures await you! And please include pics.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:40 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

My guess is a stuck valve.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:54 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks everyone for your feedback and comments.
UPDATE TODAY:
  • removed starter/solenoid from car to confirm that is not causing issue -> CONFIRMED
  • inspected all 6 cylinders using endoscope/borescope video camera through spark plug holes -> NOTHING UNUSUAL
  • removed oil filter cartridge & inspected along with oil in filter housing -> NOTHING UNUSUAL
  • confirmed no oil leaks under car at bellhousing/block flange
  • crankshaft only rotates +/- 5-10 degrees using wrench on crank bolt and ~75 ft*lb torque (estimated) -> SAME AS YESTERDAY
    • transmission in neutral
    • same with clutch pedal up or down
Are there any more diagnostics I can do while engine is still in the car?
I assume first step is transmission removal to inspect clutch and IMS area?
If you are 110% confident you are unable to rotate the engine at least 2 full revolutions with the plugs out, and you are sure there is nothing locking up at the accessory drive to prevent the engine from turning (you should remove the serpentine belt) and you are sure there is nothing inside the back hollow of the crank pulley which can possibly jam and "lock" the engine you will need to remove the transmission to ensure there is nothing with the clutch or with transmission that is preventing the engine from turning.

If the engine can't be rotated there is something horribly amiss inside the engine. You are not going to find and fix this with the engine is the car.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:28 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 445 Posts

How the hell could a car go from 'running great, parked it' to 'seized motor'? That's insane.

28k miles on a 20 year old car? That's also insane. Nowhere near enough exercise...

Quick Reply: What is my next move?