Sponsored by:

99 Boxster top started up then stays down

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:44 PM
Typee
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Boxster top started up then stays down

I've seen a number of posts on this topic, but this one seems different. I parked the car and preceded to put the top up. The top started going up and then went into reverse and is now in the fully open position. The windows are in the partially opened position. Pressing on the button to raise the top causes the relay to click. I've checked the b6 and d3 fuses and they are in tact. I've removed and put back the double-relay. Does this sound like a relay problem? Or could it be in the motor? Is the motor accessible with the top in the down position? Should I just try and replace the relay or can I bench test it?

Any help is appreciated. I just bought this car for my wife. I drive an '84 928 with none of these dodgy electronics (so far!).

Update: First - the Parking light switch is on. I replaced the relay with no effect. Any other ideas? Might it be the microswitch?

Last edited by Typee; 01-24-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:48 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Typee
I've seen a number of posts on this topic, but this one seems different. I parked the car and preceded to put the top up. The top started going up and then went into reverse and is now in the fully open position. The windows are in the partially opened position. Pressing on the button to raise the top causes the relay to click. I've checked the b6 and d3 fuses and they are in tact. I've removed and put back the double-relay. Does this sound like a relay problem? Or could it be in the motor? Is the motor accessible with the top in the down position? Should I just try and replace the relay or can I bench test it?

Any help is appreciated. I just bought this car for my wife. I drive an '84 928 with none of these dodgy electronics (so far!).
Be sure the parking brake is applied and the parking brake warning light is lit and stays lit while operating the top. There have been reports of switch in the console failing and if the parking brake is not recognized as being set/applied the top doesn't work right. Not sure if during an attempt to raise/put the top up if the parking brake switch intermittently acts up if the top then goes back down or what it does.

The relay clicking could be due to a low/bad battery so be sure the battery is good.

That you just bought the car means you are unfamiliar with it and the battery could be bad.

If you can start the engine then let it idle while you attempt to close the top.

If the battery is good and the parking brake light in the dash comes on and stays on when the brake is applied the clicking relay then suggests a bad relay. For some circuits the techs have/use a "bypass" relay. (A tech loaned me his to use to test for a possible bad relay when the fuel pump was suspected when the engine died and failed to restart. You can buy these bypass relays too at the local Porsche dealer parts department. Or you can consider just replacing the relay unless it is super expensive.)

Old 01-23-2019, 12:14 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree, parking brake switch first, simple solutions for complicated problems

Quick Reply: 99 Boxster top started up then stays down