Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD port not communicating with scanner

Old 12-21-2018, 10:29 AM
alleykat
User

Default OBD port not communicating with scanner

My 986 has developed an intermittent CEL so Iíve been trying to get it scanned. The auto parts guys couldnít connect with their little hand held. Yesterday we tried with a high end snap on tablet one and still no communication established between them.

The OBD port is definitely getting power to it.

Car previously had a water damaged under seat CLU. I replaced that over a year ago and have driven trouble free for over 20k miles until now. Iím looking to sell the car but I need to figure out this CEL and no communicating between OBD problems first.

Any ideas?
Old 12-21-2018, 10:31 AM
alleykat
User

Car is a 2001, 5 speed and replacement CLU I swapped in was also from a 2001 boxster 5 speed.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:54 PM
Macster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alleykat View Post
My 986 has developed an intermittent CEL so Iíve been trying to get it scanned. The auto parts guys couldnít connect with their little hand held. Yesterday we tried with a high end snap on tablet one and still no communication established between them.

The OBD port is definitely getting power to it.

Car previously had a water damaged under seat CLU. I replaced that over a year ago and have driven trouble free for over 20k miles until now. Iím looking to sell the car but I need to figure out this CEL and no communicating between OBD problems first.

Any ideas?
Try another OBD2 scan tool. The 2001 Boxster OBD2 protocol is probably ISO-9141-2 (same as my 2002 Boxster and my 2003 996 Turbo; my 2008 Cayman S was KWP2000). Most modern cars now use CAN and while way back in 2002 CAN was pretty much non-existent today it is quite the opposite.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: