Sponsored by:

Another IMS question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 01:34 PM
rpk55
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another IMS question

Hello all: Recently purchased an 02 Boxster S, nicely cared for, very clean and about 61,000 miles. Runs strong and as much fun on the track as I can handle. Have been reading a lot about what should probably be addressed and I'm looking for a winter project anyway. I'm wondering how many owners will undertake the clutch, IMS and RMS replacement on their own? I've been through several BMW's but this is my first Porsche. It's looking like the only special tools I would need to have on hand would be a trans jack and the special tools for the IMS portion. Thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 12-10-2018, 01:45 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I would love to know the answer to that first question. More and more people are buying the tools and tackling these problems themselves. I wouldn't do it, but more power to you. Here is a video that Jake Raby produced on behalf of the Knowledge Gruppe. Might want to subscribe to their channel is you like to handle these types of projects.

Here are the links. You'll see the types of tools needed to do the job.

Last edited by NuttyProfessor; 12-10-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:24 PM
rpk55
Rennlist Member

Default Another IMS question

Thanks for the reply Professor. I'm hoping to hear from some who have done this in their own shop and what the end result was and if they would do it again.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:46 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Lots of people do it. Some sell on their tool set afterwards, some rent the tools. Some even help others. Post your location.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:31 AM
rpk55
Rennlist Member

Default IMS bearing

Hi Mike: Thanks for the reply. Good to hear there are DIY'rs doing the job. I've just started spending time researching and watching videos. Lot's of good info out there along with several options for the bearings. At this point it seems like the ceramic option from LN makes sense, and it's available from Pelican. I plan on putting the car in the air in a few days and will start on a parts list soon.
I live on the North Coast, the Lake Erie shore in Ohio so I won't be driving the Boxster much through the winter. Rather buy a new set of Nitto's than Blizzaks! As always, any input would be welcome.
Regards,
Rob
Old 12-11-2018, 11:57 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

I recommend checking out Ben Burner's channel. He did a lot of research then did the job, all documented on video. Start here and then you can find the others.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:45 AM
rpk55
Rennlist Member

Thanks Grant! I'll check it out.
Rob
Old 12-12-2018, 11:38 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by elgy
I recommend checking out Ben Burner's channel. He did a lot of research then did the job, all documented on video. Start here and then you can find the others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxdvSq_byZw
I really like Burner's YouTube Channel. I've watched many of his DIY videos, but the information in this video is about 2.5 year out of date. Of course, Ben is very kind to suggest that the video is "his opinion" and doesn't try to shove it down anyone's throat. However, IMHO, not putting $800 bearing into your engine because it's "smarter" to put that money in a used $5000 replacement motor is poor advice. Why? Because you'll turn around with another old engine that needs the same IMSB replacement in most cases. I would rather invest in preventive maintenance if I plan to keep the car for a long time. To each his own.

Now, regarding the last "they're ripping us off" comment in the video... I have no dog in this fight, but I wouldn't act like LN or Pedro's Garage is robbing people because they charge $800 for their bearing kits. They bring products to the market just like everyone else. They're not forcing anyone to buy them and I'm sure that a tremendous amount R&D money was used to bring those products to the Porsche community. It's not like Porsche offers a retrofit solution other than replacing the entire engine.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:52 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Porsche does offer a retrofit kit. I don't know any details.

I can attest to the work done in developing the LN kits because I was in contact with Jake while he was blowing up engines testing different approaches. Their instructions have been improved (unlike some), even their kits have been improved in some cases, their bearings seem to last longer than they suggested and they have a tool kit that enables the process. Their pre-installation qualification process is smart for any bearing kit you think to use. No sense in spending money if the engine is full of already failed bits that will drastically shorten the life of any bearing you use.

Just be aware that other things besides the IMS can take out an engine. Improving all those bits gets really expensive.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:13 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mikefocke
Porsche does offer a retrofit kit. I don't know any details.
I see Charles from LN posted on another thread about this so called "Porsche OEM retrofit". Seems like I remember some debate over whether it was truly a part that would be offered in service or just left over kits in response to the class action law suit. When I was at a Porsche dealership last year, they did not offer a OEM retrofit service. Some dealerships have been installing LN engineering bearings for customers. (see picture below) So my question is... if Porsche service centers have access to a factory OEM retrofit bearing, then why would a Porsche dealership be installing aftermarket bearings?

This was posted on another forum recently.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:57 PM
rpk55
Rennlist Member

It looks like that service record is from several years ago and states that the customer requested the LN bearing. I'll probably check with a local dealer at some point just out of due diligence. I've watched a few Burner videos. I need to take them in small batches.

Quick Reply: Another IMS question