Sponsored by:

Problems with Engine Porsche Boxster S 2000

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 10:20 AM
FRC75
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with Engine Porsche Boxster S 2000

Hello. I bought Porsche Boxster S 2000 with 85.000Km after a few months i saw that there´s coolant with oil. I saw that this is a problema that happens with a lot of this car. What could have happened? Is it worth to fix it?
Old 12-05-2018, 01:26 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

could be a freeze plug in the head, we just had a very similar problem with a 2001 s
Old 12-05-2018, 02:02 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or the oil cooler has a leak. Easy problem to fix.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Others have offered possible sources of the intermix problem. Whether the car is worth it to fix it depends upon you. With the problem the car is not worth much, is only a "roller" with the engine an unknown. Given the expense of an engine tear down/repair many buyers balk as these cars as rollers. The ones that don't are not going to throw big sums of cash at you.

Others over the years have reported similar trouble and in many cases the problem was addressed and with proper repairs and follow up the engine was fine.

If you are going to fix this best to tackle this right away rather than let the engine sit with an intermix problem. And avoid running the engine any until the problem has been addressed and the contaminated coolant has been removed and the engine filled with water maybe mixed with an additive that is intended to help remove any oil that might have been in the coolant and been deposited on any of the cooling system surfaces and the engine oil has been drained and the filter replaced and the engine filled with fresh and an approved oil.

After some run time with the engine fully up to temperature the "coolant" is drained and the engine filled with a proper mix of Porsche antifreeze and distilled water and the engine oil drained and the engine refilled with fresh oil. The filter should be changed too. The filter element (pretty much "paper") can absorb water and this can then restrict oil flow through the filter element.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:44 AM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What Macster said. If you mentioned it, I didn't notice. Is there oil in the coolant? Or coolant in the oil (intermix?) The first one may not be so bad, the second is pretty serious. All the above can cause this, in addition a leaky head or head gasket will too. Is there bubbling in the coolant reservoir? Don't know what your skill and knowledge level is, if this is your first rodeo, I'd probably have it towed to a local indie Eurocar shop and let them diagnose it and propose actions to resolve the problems. As Macster said, DON'T DRIVE IT!

Quick Reply: Problems with Engine Porsche Boxster S 2000