Sponsored by:

2001 Boxster S clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 08:37 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 400 Likes on 184 Posts
Default 2001 Boxster S clutch question

O. K. a 2001 BoxsterS with 23000 miles, Kept indoors and receives a yearly check with a major about every 6 years. Gets around 1200 miles a year no short trips no city driving always driven enough to warm up to normal operation temperature. Never driven through any water in fact hardly ever driven in rain... Question: When the engine is stone cold and the clutch is depressed the action is silent. BUT when the car is warmed up to operating temp and the clutch is depressed there is a "scrunch" spring compression type noise,. Not very loud but you can hear it with the engine OFF in a quiet garage. Obviously (?) it is heat related. Original clutch, IMS replaced about 7 years ago. Car shifts fine, no slipping of clutch just the noise when it is warmed up. and the clutch is depressed. Only heard in a quiet place with the engine off.
Could this be something just related to the age of the components? I assume I am hearing the pressure plate springs being moved by the release bearing.
Any other ideas of what this might be? I do not know if the slave cylinder has a return spring attached to it. Kind of has me wondering...
Thanks in advance.
Pat D
Old 11-28-2018, 09:12 PM
Geof3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this, lean down and listen at the clutch pedal when depressed under the dash. Is the noise there? There is a relatively heavy spring that assists the clutch, it can make this sound. It could be broken as well. If it is, it is a relatively easy fix. Unlikely it is anything in the clutch area itself as the clutch system is hydraulic and the only spring is in the helper. I doubt you would be able to hear the pressure plate springs. But maybe? My $$$ is on the pedal helper spring.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:59 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Geof3
Try this, lean down and listen at the clutch pedal when depressed under the dash. Is the noise there? There is a relatively heavy spring that assists the clutch, it can make this sound. It could be broken as well. If it is, it is a relatively easy fix. Unlikely it is anything in the clutch area itself as the clutch system is hydraulic and the only spring is in the helper. I doubt you would be able to hear the pressure plate springs. But maybe? My $$$ is on the pedal helper spring.
I was thinking the same thing as I read your post
Old 12-02-2018, 10:08 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 400 Likes on 184 Posts

Thank you both, the only noise I hear in the cabin when I depress the clutch is a click which I believe is the micro switch for disengaging the cruse control (?) The spring noise type sound is coming from the center section of the car, hence my suspicion of the spring fingers in the pressure plate.
Thanks.
Pat

Quick Reply: 2001 Boxster S clutch question