Sponsored by:

Tire Size for "S" 17" back wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 04:58 PM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tire Size for "S" 17" back wheel

I bought an '04 "S" recently. It has the "stock" S 17" wheels on it. The back tires are 255\40 17.
I'd like to go to a wider tire in the rear and don't have the funds to replace all 4 wheels with 19" rears that I'd like to have.
The back end has a tendency to step out when I get on it hard in a corner, even with the PSE engaged.
I was wondering if it is feasible to go to 265's or even 285's on the stock rear wheels.
I had a '99 Box before this one and even with 289\30-19's I could get it a little loose, but nothing as bad as the 255's on my S.

Thanks for any comments,
Tim
Old 11-28-2018, 08:35 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to work on your cornering technique. Its not your tire size that's the problem. You can lose the rear end two ways in a corner. One is if you lift or brake ion the corner when you realize that you came in too fast. The Boxster isn't nearly as bad as a 911, but both will lose the rear end. The other is harder, and happens if you accelerate too hard or early coming out of the corner, I recommend that you do a few HDPEs and.or autocrosses with instructors who will teach you proper cornering technique.

There is yet another possibility, that you have crappy tires, That will make the above happen earlier.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:37 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

If memory serves me right I think those rims are only 8.5" in width, I can't imagine that you could go any wider then 255 on that size.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:05 PM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

Originally Posted by Anker
You need to work on your cornering technique. Its not your tire size that's the problem. You can lose the rear end two ways in a corner. One is if you lift or brake ion the corner when you realize that you came in too fast. The Boxster isn't nearly as bad as a 911, but both will lose the rear end. The other is harder, and happens if you accelerate too hard or early coming out of the corner, I recommend that you do a few HDPEs and.or autocrosses with instructors who will teach you proper cornering technique.

There is yet another possibility, that you have crappy tires, That will make the above happen earlier.
The tires are Michelin Super Pilot summer compound...
I have driven and raced 911's. I'm well aware of the "lift throttle oversteer" issue. My '99 Box had a smidgeon of that, but was easily anticipated. I did not expect the over steer with the "S".
I guess that the only way to cure the problem is going to wider wheels and tires.
i'll just have to pony up the cash to get the desired results....I guess I already knew that, but was wondering if anybody else had tried going up 10mm or 30mm on the stock wheels and got better results....

tim
Old 11-28-2018, 11:03 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Do you have after market suspension or a different rear sway bar? I have a 2000S and it will sometimes get a little loose if i nail it in 2nd gear going around a tight corner, but otherwise it sticks really well back there. Then i went with some coilovers, set them.too low, and it would snap oversteer at the slightest provocation. Raised them up, but added a new stiffer rear sway bar (without the matching front) and it was worse. Went back to stock (with new struts) and it was solved. Maybe a previous owner added a thicker rear sway bar? I run 255/40/17 back and 225/45/17 front and my back sticks really well. I don't know if a 275/35/17 would fit back there, the 255 is pinched a decent amount on the 17x8.5 rear wheel.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:04 AM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

I have the stock S suspension. The car only had 34k and change on the clock when I bought it. It pretty much lived in the garage. I'm the second owner.
The first owner spent a lot of money on creature comforts, but didn't bother with any performance attributes.
I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get different wheels. I think I will go to 19's when I can afford it.
thanks for your insight.

tim

Quick Reply: Tire Size for "S" 17" back wheel