Sponsored by:

leak on 2001 porsche boxster

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 01:52 AM
4demons
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leak on 2001 porsche boxster

I have stored my 2001 Porsche Boxster for the winter and noticed a leak behind the front drivers tire. It was green so i assumed it was antifreeze and wiped it up. I noticed some more on the floor so placed a container to collect it. It collected about 2 cups but was blue in color. Raised the trunk to check level and it was down a little but was pink in color. Does anyone have info on this. I realize the blue must be washer fluid but why was it green at first,and is there a hose from the washer fluid that passes behind the front drivers tire.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:35 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 4demons
I have stored my 2001 Porsche Boxster for the winter and noticed a leak behind the front drivers tire. It was green so i assumed it was antifreeze and wiped it up. I noticed some more on the floor so placed a container to collect it. It collected about 2 cups but was blue in color. Raised the trunk to check level and it was down a little but was pink in color. Does anyone have info on this. I realize the blue must be washer fluid but why was it green at first,and is there a hose from the washer fluid that passes behind the front drivers tire.
The green could be old fluid in the line which was a different washer fluid or mixed differently, diluted more, than what was put in more recently. Every time I had my Boxster (or Turbo) in for service the vital fluids were checked and topped up as necessary. I kept a good eye on the vital fluids but never really bothered with the washer fluid. I expect the washer fluid had different colors depending upon what fluid I added -- the very rare times I added any fluid -- vs. what the Porsche techs added.

The hose route from the tank to the washer nozzle could be a circuitous one by design. My Turbo had bi-xenon headlights and headlight washers. Even if your Boxster doesn't have the bi-xenon lights the routing could be the way it is to accommodate the fitting of bi-xenon lights and the washer or even just the head light washer option. The area behind the front tire is a warm one once the engine is up to temperature. It could be a way to help prevent washer fluid line freezing.

Be sure you give the car a good going over for any signs of rodent infestation. I'm worried the appearance of that leak out of the blue so to speak could be due to rodents gnawing on things.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:51 PM
4demons
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leak behind front tire

Yes you are correct i forgot about the headlight washer on my bi-xenon headlights. i haven`t checked the washer reservoir for the color of the fluid but will check this weekend, also its a small garage and i have put in a mouse trap but nothing yet ,its a fairly new garage no holes and its not leaking right now

Quick Reply: leak on 2001 porsche boxster