Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chevron Techron

Fact or fiction?
Old 01-27-2004, 09:57 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 393 Posts

Over on www.ppbb.com, we've had numerous discussions about Chevron gas and Techron. Let me summarize about 2 years worth of discussion and research:

1. Techron does work as advertized
2. Chevron is the ONLY gas that Porsche recommends here in the US
3. ALL the major car manufacturers use Chevron gas in their test vehicles when they submit them for EPA testing and certification.
4. (assuming you have a Boxster) you need to be running Chevron premium every tank full if you can. Then about twice a year, buy a bottle of Techron and pour it in the tank before fill up.

If you want to see all the info, go to www.ppbb.com, sign up, and search the archives.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard Techron is recommended by many in the know. I use it at least once a year. When I had my '88 944, I used it every oil change (5k miles). I bought the car with 44k miles and sold it with 150k and never replaced the injectors. The car ran as good or better than when I bought it. That's about the only real first hand testimony I can give...but I've heard good things so I trust it.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:58 PM
JeffES
Pro

Wow. Hell, last time I was at Milford, there was no Chevron gas w/in sight, but EPA cert work was going on. Also, Weissach is the ONLY lab in Europe fully certified by both EPA & DOT, and there's no Chevron gas there. My question is then what other carmakers "certify" using Chevron????? Sorry, but there's some myth there.... plus, the dirty little secret is that "gas" is indeed "gas". All - with only one recent exception - blenders, suppliers, distributors, etc... down the line regularly trade product, and all are very limited, by law, with what they can do at the distribution point(s).
While a bit of additive now and again may (I repeat, MAY) be a good thing, one can safely dismiss claims about specific gas brands.
J
PS - the one exception was Amaco's "Clear". Drove schedulers nuts....
Old 01-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think this is the EPA testing story folks are thinking about....

Chevron Gas and EPA Testing for Big 3
Old 01-27-2004, 11:35 PM
JeffES
Pro

That's a hoot! I think someone at Chevron is smoking just a bit too much....
besides, what @ cert for Toyota, Honda, and Nissan - all of whom sell more cars than the "Big Two". The real story is that for many years Chevron basically gave away products to Domestic OEM's. No different than saying "Mobil 1 is the best synthetic for Porsche". Funny. I recall having a Shell sticker on one of my previous P cars - these "claims" are all about sponsership, plain & simple. Besides, by Federal Regs (which are checked, at random, by the way), all fuels & oils used in Motor Vehicles MUST be completely interchangable. As I said before, when petro products move thru the system, the only thing that determines what "Brand" it is is (bad English, I know...) who's buying it at the truck loading end. Petro is a funky business.
J
Old 01-27-2004, 11:48 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

I just put a bottle of Techron concentrate in my 944, after hearing much praise on PPBB.

The car had been a bit sluggish recently (not unreasonable, since it lay dormant for eight months!). I figure it's a good candidate for Techron. Anyway, I am going to give the car some "Italian tune-up" action over the next couple of days and report the results.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:32 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I should qualify my comments...I'm talking about the bottled stuff that helps with fuel injection cleaning, etc. As for gas, I use only Shell premium, and don't know anything about Chevron gas. Come to think of it, I don't know where a Chevron station is around here...
Old 01-28-2004, 10:37 AM
mackgoo
Advanced

That really was my question about the gas. This started with my quest to find 93 octane in CA. Which appears to be fruitless. The I ran across the Chevron with Techron and was curious.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

I spoke with a driver who has been delivering Cheveron for many years. We struck up a conversation. He said there really is a difference. He has delivered for other manufacturers/ processeror. One key was consistent quality control regarding octanes and additives. Also the cleanleness of the product was an issue. Others leave his tanker dirty, not Chevron. He had nothing to gain by his information. I have been useing Cheveron for years and like other do a bottle of cleaner at oil change. No injector or fuel related problem in hundreds of thousands of miles. Just for whats it worth.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using Techron for years and like others have said in conjunction with an oil change. I may have been mislead, but the way I was directed to use it was to add a bottle to the fuel tank when less then half full to achieve a high concentration in the fuel. It was also suggested that this should be accomplished where the majority of the driving involved short trips, as opposed to running it through on the highway. It was also suggested that the concentration of Techron in the fuel system would be more effective that way. Following this treatment, the car should be refueled and then the oil change should take place. The apparent reason for this is to avoid higher concentrations of Techron in the fuel that makes it to the oil.

In short the suggestion was to use Techron before the last refill before an oil change.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:33 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Sean, I'm curious of your findings. I'm in the process of doing the same "testing", once these roads clear up around here...
Old 02-04-2004, 01:36 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a past SAE research paper, most fuel additives that promoted higher fuel economy or cleaner fuel systems were a colossal waste of money. Techron was the only additive that seemed to have any impact at all.

The others involved were Slick 50 and a couple of "info-mercial" types that I can't remember off hand.

OT: The same goes for oils too. Most are the same (dino) no matter who the manufacturer is. Don't spend too much money on dino oils if you can get the same weight in something a little cheaper. I personally use Mobil 1 because it's worked great so far and I don't want to change a thing "just in case", and either Mobil 93 octane gas or Sunoco 94 octane. Techron once a year.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:02 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 393 Posts

OriginalSterm - Wise choice!
Old 02-04-2004, 03:31 PM
brickerson
Advanced

Originally posted by mackgoo
That really was my question about the gas. This started with my quest to find 93 octane in CA. Which appears to be fruitless. The I ran across the Chevron with Techron and was curious.
Yep, it's fruitless all right (93 not legal in CA). BUT there is a solution. You can blend 100 octane racing fuel with 91 octane pump fuel to get 93 octane, according to the following chart:

There are only a few 76 stations that carry 100 octane, but I'm sure there must be a couple within easy reach of SJC.

Brian

Quick Reply: Chevron Techron