Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Outside Ambient Temp Sensor (with photo)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 12:34 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Front Bumper Outside Ambient Temp Sensor (with photo)

Hi Boxster owners,

The front bumper outside ambient temp sensor on my Boxster went haywire, so I removed it and replaced it with a new one.

The sad part is, I forgot whether or not if the sensor sits flush against the clip or not. It was a struggle to get the original one out, but I was also no longer able to plug it back in fully. The new one is clipped in (as pictured) and held on by the clip/harness, but to reiterate, I can't remember for the life of me if it's supposed to sit flush or not. And if it is supposed to sit flush, how do I push it back in far enough? It's not working for both the old and new sensor. I hope I did not break anything!

For what it's worth, the new sensor does work and the cabin temperature is comfortable now. Before, the fan would go from full blast to nothing in a matter of seconds.

Could a fellow Boxster owner take a look for me to confirm? Thanks in advance!

Name:  oLqOimJ.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  232.0 KB

Last edited by bcrdukes; 09-02-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:53 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Let your mind rest, that appears to be correct. The temperature sensor doesn't sit flush to the connector.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:20 PM
Pat M
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outside temp sensor

Hi
Where did you get your temp sensor. Looked at Pelican couldn't locate..
Thanks
2000 S Speed Yellow 65k
Old 09-02-2018, 06:57 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pat M
Hi
Where did you get your temp sensor. Looked at Pelican couldn't locate..
Thanks
2000 S Speed Yellow 65k
Hi Pat M,

I got the part from my local Porsche dealer. The Porsche part number is 95850553500, and is the updated version of the sensor. It is also compatible with various models throughout the Porsche line. Are you looking to replace yours?

Pelican sells it, except the factory simply refers to it as a temperature sensor - Click here for the direct link to the part itself. I tried to shop around however, could not justify buying more items as I had just purchased everything required for fall/winter maintenance. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Pat M
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temp sensor

Thanks bcrdukes,
Yes I too shop around. Thanks for the info, my outside temp stays on 140 and I like my Box to be like new so will replace.
Thanks again
Old 09-04-2018, 10:21 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Pat M,

That definitely sounds like a bad sensor. Please do follow up to see if the replacement solves the issue for you. I think this part is often forgotten and almost never replaced until we see the temp off the charts. I'd be really curious to see how this works for you. It's been a few days since replacing the sensor for my Boxster, and the results have been positive. I'm not roasting in it anymore!
Old 10-14-2022, 02:39 PM
eurothunder
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Pat M,

That definitely sounds like a bad sensor. Please do follow up to see if the replacement solves the issue for you. I think this part is often forgotten and almost never replaced until we see the temp off the charts. I'd be really curious to see how this works for you. It's been a few days since replacing the sensor for my Boxster, and the results have been positive. I'm not roasting in it anymore!
Taking this old thread back! I have a 97 made in Germany OG Boxster, looks like the computer was turned on, and I just installed the stalk. GREAT. Now the problem comes when I try to have the temperature reading but I see "---" because I dont have a sensor in this car. So now I need to locate the cable and where it plugs, and will get a sensor. Its been more than an hour looking for this info and cant find it anywhere... lets see if the RENNLIST goods can help.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:16 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

You'll probably need the schematics to the wiring diagram. I'm no help on that but if you search around, I'm sure you'll be able to find it.

Edit: Perhaps this might help? https://www.renntech.org/topic/8232-...r-temp-sensor/

Last edited by bcrdukes; 10-21-2022 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Outside Ambient Temp Sensor (with photo)