Secondary Air Injection "Incomplete"

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 03:10 AM
doridori
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Secondary Air Injection "Incomplete"

I have a 2002 Boxster (non S).

When I do the ODB II scan, it keeps saying that the Secondary Air Injection is "Incomplete".

What can I do to make the Secondary Air Injection to be "complete" or "ready"?

Thanks
Old 08-15-2018, 04:45 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I am having the same problem.

Mine is an '00 S. I previously had CEL 0133 and 1275 and cleared the codes (after replacing all 4 O2 sensors). I have run the drive cycle and reset the ECU a few times. Still have secondary air non-readiness along with catalyst. A local smog tech suggested that the air pump check valve may be the culprit. But, I am not just ready to start throwing parts at the issue.

Let me know how you solve it.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:02 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe you have to drive a couple hundred miles after the CEL clears before the SAI goes complete. My understanding that this is done to ensure that you can't clear the CEL and then drive right over to the inspection station. The problem has to be really solved.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:47 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by doridori

When I do the ODB II scan, it keeps saying that the Secondary Air Injection is "Incomplete".

Thanks
Curious, was there anything done to the engine before the MIL?
Old 08-18-2018, 01:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by doridori

Thanks
You have to drive the car.

Much has been written on some pretty involved OBD2 drive cycles. With my 2002 Boxster (and my 2003 996 Turbo) I found all readiness monitors would be set to complete at some point during my 30 mile drive to work. I doubt the entire 30 mile drive was necessary but that is my most common usage of my cars.

Briefly, my commute started with a cold engine start with enough idle time to let the secondary air injection pump shut off. Concurrent with this the fast cold idle speed dropped to near normal hot idle. This was when the DME switched from open loop mode to closed loop mode.

Then from less than a mile to a couple of miles -- depending upon how congested the freeway was at where I would normally get on the freeway -- on surface streets followed by a number of miles on the freeway. The end of my commute was pretty much like the start. From less than a mile to a couple of miles on surface streets until I reached the office.

I did not drive the car any real special way. Of course I kept RPMs low (<4K) while the engine was cold. After it was warmed up I occasionally exceeded 4K RPMs but it was not my commuting style to thrash the car or the engine. When trying to get the readiness monitors to complete hard acceleration, high RPMs, can work to delay this process.

If all the readiness sensors do not get set to complete in the above "drive cycle" almost certainly there is a problem and it is not due to the drive cycle being inadequate. There may not be a CEL with an error code logged. It can take the DME a while to finally throw in the towel so to speak and register an error code. This can be delayed, as I touched upon above, by how the car is driving during the "drive cycle".

In those cases where owners report following a much longer drive cycle or one that has "precise" call outs for idle time, cruising time, etc., and meeting with success I suspect the drive cycle was successful because the problem was intermittent enough that the DME managed to get all the readiness monitor tests complete. Over the years I have encountered several problems that were intermittent in nature and quickly learned how to drive the car to avoid triggering the CEL and managing to get all the readiness monitors set to complete in order to pass a smog check.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:57 AM
Lapister
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read this on another forum and thought it was too good to be true. If all other readiness codes are complete except SAI try this. On a cold start rev engine at 2700 rpm for the entire 90 sec while parked. I did it in my garage several times. I had nothing to loose as this problem plaqued me for a long time. Saw it go ready on my cheapy scanner right there on my 02 Box.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:20 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Drove ~350 miles and the catalyst exception cleared...

But, not the SA. Tried the 2700 rpm suggestion at cold start up and it cleared (after a short low idle)! Thank you. I have been dealing with this for many months.

Last edited by tone40; 08-22-2018 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-26-2018, 01:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Nice trick that and glad it worked for you. Never had to do that -- even if I had known about it -- as my normal work commute/drive cycle has the engine running real close to the 2700/3K RPMs range most of the time when I'm not accelerating from a stop or slowing for a stop. Guess for me this was the equivalent.

Quick Reply: Secondary Air Injection "Incomplete"