Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Is This Board So Non-responsive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 06:34 PM
bigbass37
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Is This Board So Non-responsive?

I would think there is a lot of Boxster owners on this site> Must be wrong. That's a shame.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:20 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Re: Why Is This Board So Non-responsive?

Originally posted by bigbass37
I would think there is a lot of Boxster owners on this site> Must be wrong. That's a shame.
I've noticed the same thing.

Charlie
Old 01-14-2004, 08:47 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

A lot of Boxster owners also post on PPBB.com.

I would like to see more posts here, too. I guess that's up to us.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:59 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

If I want an answer to a question I post it in the Q&A section of http://www.smiley.net/boxster/
Old 01-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't take this wrong, but I think a lot of Boxster owners are like a lot of Corvette owners. They drive what they drive only to impress others. They aren't into cars much less the Internet...

In my case, I'm a Boxster newbie, so I just read the posts. I have little to contribute. I'm still learning the thing... But I do check here several times a day...
Old 01-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

Tour, I agree that a lot of new car owners are not enthusiasts per se .... but this applies to many owners of 'status symbol' new cars (996 / Corvette/ Z4 etc.). Not just Boxster owners. Heck, the same was probably true of 944 owners in the 80s (and 911 owners in the 60s ).

If you will check PPBB.com, you'll see that there is a thriving community of Boxster enthusiasts who are into exploring every element of these cars. For whatever reason, that community has not developed here. But I bet the Rennlist 986 community will grow as more enthusiasts own these cars. Again, it's up to us to jump in and post.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:01 AM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

I hang out at The Boxster Racing Board and my local clubs boards. Mostly because not a lot owners here seem to be tracking and/or racing their cars much. But I do pop in every once in a while just to see what's happening.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:16 AM
Tour18
Banned

Cool. Thanks for the Web sites info. I didn't mean to offend anyone. It's just that I've always been puzzled by how little interest people can have in the soul of the vehicle they choose. I mean, why buy a Corvette and then bury the thing under chrome doo dads and body colored engine covers????

It's rather entertaining to shut up Boxster bashers by throwing out that I've got a 993TT and a Z06 too. Of all the cars I've ever owned, the Boxster is the only one I would call a jewel. Well, maybe the 944 too... My all time favorite automobile... But I won't go there... hehehe...
Old 01-15-2004, 10:41 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 413 Posts

Wow! I haven't seen so many answers on this board before!

I hang out also at ppbb.com. There's more folks 'talking' over there. Not that there aren't some good people here, this board just seems to be a little 'quieter'.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:54 PM
JCBrown
Intermediate

I am also shocked at all the responses to this post. This has to be a record for the amount of time the post has been up. I totally agree that there isn't much response here. I realize the boxster hasn't been out as long as the 911, but there are quite a few out there and you would think there would be more posts.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:55 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

About a year or so ago this board was pretty talkative. Look in the archives there was a time when a lot of people hung out here and had plenty to say. Just a guess on my part but I suspect a lot of those posters got tired of all the "Boxster Bashing". It seemed like every other day someone from another board (944, 964, 993, etc) would drop a note off that desparaged the Boxster in some way. Oh, I'm sure a lot of it was in jest and intended to be good natured and fun. But there were some posts and posters that were downright nasty. So my guess would be that a lot of those original posters have moved over to PPBB where they are the only ones that matter and don't have to worry about being bashed.

Unfortunately, that would seem to mean that some of your assumptions are correct. A lot of Boxster owners are all caught up in "I have to own a Porsche so people will like me and think I am cool." Otherwise, why let the bashing get to you? If you are confident in yourself why care what others think about your car? If their feelings are so damaged by what someone else thinks of their car, then they did not purchase the car for themself, they did it for the approval of others.

The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily relfect those of the general Boxster Ownership populous.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:08 PM
JeffES
Pro

Well, "Net", you've hit on a pretty good point - many Boxsters (along w/996's, 993's and other Porsches) are/were bought by people "wanting the badge", and perhaps many of those owners have simply dropped off. There was though, in my experience, more than just a bit of vitrol directed at either 1) Porsche for building the Boxster, 2) the Boxster for looking like a 996 or vice versa, or 3) Boxster owners for not participating in the long honored history of "bench racing". In fact, it got ugly at times. I think that the "brouhaha" over the Boxster sort of paved the way for the Cayenne here - but there's been plenty of venting over that Porsche, too. I do wish that the folks who consider themselves "keepers of the flame" would keep their flames a bit to themselves... sigh.
J
Old 01-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Tour18
Banned

JeffES hit the nail on the head. The front engine water cool drivers can get pretty articulate bad mouthing anything Porsche. Except for their particular ride...
Old 01-16-2004, 10:52 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Personally? I didn't even know this board existed until recently.

I knew about ppbb.com about a year before I got my boxster. Porsche Pete's does such a good job and there's so much traffic that I usually just pop onto rennlist for the racing board.

Even then, if I really wanted to know about boxsters and racing, I'd go to the boxster racing website.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:48 AM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Tour18
JeffES hit the nail on the head. The front engine water cool drivers can get pretty articulate bad mouthing anything Porsche. Except for their particular ride...
Come on guys lighten up. I've been around cars for over 30 years and seen this bashing "my car better than yours" everywhere with every brand name. Back in our 944 forum we get bombed with anti-944 bashing. Guess what? We are still here and doing better than ever. No bashing is going to keep us down and out. Guess what else? I think the Boxter is a very nice car So now you'll have to find some other excuse for your lack of participation, good day!

Quick Reply: Why Is This Board So Non-responsive?