Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

986 Top from Junkyard sitting outside condition.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 02:09 PM
sequel95
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 986 Top from Junkyard sitting outside condition.

Hi. I am looking at a Top from a junkyard down south and it has some mildew on it from sitting in the hot sun. Anyone have experience if these canvas tops can get damaged sitting outside for a few years? Hopefully this will clean up.
Attached Images    
Old 08-01-2018, 03:44 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

They can definitely be damaged. I'd be more worried about UV making the fabric brittle than about the mildew.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:24 PM
sequel95
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Shawn. I'm thinking of looking more locally and avoiding these cars in the South. Judging by the date in the windshield (a pic I did not upload to RL) this car has probably been sitting in the AL sun for 5+ years.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Looks bad and is bad in some ways and by itself may render the top unsuitable to reuse.

Have to point out the canvas is not what keeps the elements out of the car/cabin. It is the sheet of rubber under the canvas.

The canvas should be smooth all over. If there are any signs of mild bumpiness showing in the canvas this is a sign the rubber sheet is failing.

Look inside the car to see if you can spot any signs of the top leaking.

Have you considered a new aftermarket top? I had a GAHH top installed in my Boxster a couple of years ago. The total cost: top and installation; came to around $1400. (By way of comparison a new factory top was around $3200 and even with a good dealer discount still priced in at around $2600. Installation was around $600. Dealer techs don't do tops. They directed me to a highly regarded automotive upholstery/top shop nearby which I had used before to replace the cracked plastic rear window.)

Quick Reply: 986 Top from Junkyard sitting outside condition.