Sponsored by:

2000 Boxster Surging and Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 01:10 PM
chilly92
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2000 Boxster Surging and Starting Issue

About a week ago my 2000 boxster decided to leave me stranded at work by not starting. On the way to work it had exhibited low power and surging throughout the whole rev range.

After trailering my poor baby home I made the following discoveries:
-It'll start in the mornings (after sitting all night) but it'll have a rough idle and die after a few minutes
-It cranks quicker then I am used too like it has less resistance
-I pulled the fuel pump relay and I plan on jumping the fuel pump later today to see if that helps as I cant hear the pump but that may just be my bad hearing
-I don't believe this to be related but the car has the P0440 code stored. I replaced a few parts when it wouldn't start after fill ups and never cleared the codes.

Any help would be appreciated, I think I'm on the right path with the fuel pump but if I should look into cleaning the manifold or something please let me know.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:40 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Lots of fuel pumps failing from old age/heat these days, carry on.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:48 PM
chilly92
4th Gear

I will look into the fuel pump after work and post my findings
Old 07-24-2018, 02:40 PM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

You don't indicate mileage but you may also want to check/clean the MAF and throttle body. If you do need to replace the MAF do your research since 2000 was a change over year for various MAF options.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:59 PM
chilly92
4th Gear

Thats a good idea. I may do that regardless. I have 145000 miles and I lived on a mile long gravel road for 4 years. Thanks for the heads up on the year changeover
Old 07-25-2018, 12:06 PM
chilly92
4th Gear

Alright, quick update from last night:

I was able to get it running briefly by jumping the fuel pump relay but it quit when I put the relay back in and wouldn't jump again after that. I confirmed 12V at the fuse and again at the relay but I wasn't getting any pump noises. I chased the wire all the way to the entrance to the fuel tank and again, confirmed 12V on all pins on the connector that goes into the sending unit... still no pump hum and no vrooom vrooom.

I ordered a new pump, relay, and seal. I think I'm safe in assuming that its the pump.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by chilly92
Alright, quick update from last night:

I was able to get it running briefly by jumping the fuel pump relay but it quit when I put the relay back in and wouldn't jump again after that. I confirmed 12V at the fuse and again at the relay but I wasn't getting any pump noises. I chased the wire all the way to the entrance to the fuel tank and again, confirmed 12V on all pins on the connector that goes into the sending unit... still no pump hum and no vrooom vrooom.

I ordered a new pump, relay, and seal. I think I'm safe in assuming that its the pump.
My experience when my Boxster engine quit just moments after a cold start and the fuel pump was suspect, the tech loaned me his fuel pump bypass relay. I used this to confirm the relay was not the problem.

I had the car towed. First thing tech disconnected the fuel pump from the car wiring harness and connected 12V shop power to the fuel pump. The fuel pump did not run. He replaced the fuel pump and that was that.

The faster than normal cranking is normal. It is because the engine doesn't fire right away we get to experience the full cranking speed. Normally the engine fires when a cylinder goes through a full intake/compression stroke and the cylinder fires. This gets the engine running. For a cylinder to do this only requires the starter spin the engine a second or two, a couple of revolutions.

Quick Reply: 2000 Boxster Surging and Starting Issue