Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

boxster S... can the IMS & clutch be a DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 03:39 PM
audi49
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Default boxster S... can the IMS & clutch be a DIY?

Looking at a low mileage Boxster S stickshift. Looks great except the IMS bearing has not been replaced. From my research I can probably count on about $3500 for someone to replace the clutch & IMS bearing.

However... could the IMS & clutch be a DIY project? (Without a lift?, WIth a lift?). How challenging is that?

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:36 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by audi49
Looking at a low mileage Boxster S stickshift. Looks great except the IMS bearing has not been replaced. From my research I can probably count on about $3500 for someone to replace the clutch & IMS bearing.

However... could the IMS & clutch be a DIY project? (Without a lift?, WIth a lift?). How challenging is that?

Thanks.
Familiarize yourself with the procedure before committing yourself to the job. Search the forums as well - you'll see many members that have done it before as a DIY. It's very straightforward.

http://imsretrofit.com/ims-retrofit-procedure-overview/

We offer free tool rental when installing the IMS Solution. I've attached a copy of the instructions so you can see the step by step.

But before you get that far, be sure to get a PPI. Need to make sure the car has a clean bill of health including pre-qualification before changing out the IMS bearing.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2016-IMSS-Instructions.pdf (3.00 MB, 134 views)
Old 07-09-2018, 02:27 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 445 Posts

There are excellent Youtube videos of guys doing RMS and IMS in their garages. Absolutely doable at home with a set of Harbor Freight tools.

Admittedly, I haven't done it, but I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try. These aren't moon rockets: They were screwed together and designed to be maintained by ordinary mortals like you and me.

One proviso: 986forums is probably a better Boxster resource than Rennlist. (But Rennlist is literally the world's best resource for 928s, and excellent for Cayennes.)
Old 07-13-2018, 07:57 AM
Bulletproof
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Err yes!

Crack off rear hub nuts (before jacking up!), jack up car, get on axle stands, remove aluminium plates and braces, remove CV shafts, remove exhaust, disconnect shift linkages, disconnect various electrical plugs & clutch hose, crack off bell housing bolts-apparently top ones may be easier access to crack from above, use trolley jack with bit of wood attached as a trolley to receive and lower the gearbox on, remove bolts, lower & remove box, remove FW, lock engine timing using tools, r&r IMSB, r&r RMS.

Reassembly is the reverse of removal.

That's an overview but you get the idea. On simple axles stands, no car ramp required, but a sheet of old carpet down on the ground first makes it much nicer to crawl about on..

Beers.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:08 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

With the right lift, a helper, the right set of tools specialized for the job (rentable), a set of instructions that are clear and any questions asked and answered here before the job is attempted, and a kit which matches the instructions and the tools. A careful, unhurried approach and a willingness to follow the instructions to the letter. And the wisdom to do the pre-order inspection that Charles posted to be sure it is even worth doing. Budget two days. And plan any "while you are there" items (AOS, plugs, etc). Beware trying to follow a video that isn't an exact match for your car and your kit.

Quick Reply: boxster S... can the IMS & clutch be a DIY?