Sponsored by:

Need some idle advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 10:31 PM
Zipbuddydoda
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some idle advice.

Hi everyone i’m New here but have been lurking for over a year since I bought my 2001 Boxster S. As you already know I abosulutely am in love with this car, how could you not be. First let me say thanks for this forum and your input it has been most helpful for me and my Porsche. I am having a slight idle problem that seems to be baffling my mechanic. After the engine warms up, at idle, the tachometer revs up and down. I recently replaced the OAS and didn’t have the idle problem before it was replaced. So I was thinking maybe that’s the first place to look. That said my mechanic is talking maybe a vacuum leak...we are finally having nice weather here in NY so I have been driving with the top down each nice day. The last few days have been more than hot and humid, so on goes the ac...I noticed that with the ac compressor on the idle problem ceases to exist. Shut it off and back comes the idle issue. I’m not sure what that could mean but I do know it means something. I’m just a novice when it comes to Porsche techs and mechanical issues. So if anyone out there can throw any light on my situation I would greatly appreciate it. Fwiw, I may not be a genius with these technical issues, but let me reassure you that I have the shiniest Porsche on block....Thanks Zip
Old 07-04-2018, 10:38 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

When the AOS was replaced, were any hoses from it also replaced? While it is rare, it is possible for the replacement AOS to be bad. Was it a Porsche AOS or aftermarket? First thing to suspect is something connected to the recent change. Or some hose that was disturbed in the process.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:52 PM
Zipbuddydoda
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefocke
When the AOS was replaced, were any hoses from it also replaced? While it is rare, it is possible for the replacement AOS to be bad. Was it a Porsche AOS or aftermarket? First thing to suspect is something connected to the recent change. Or some hose that was disturbed in the process.
Yes new Porsche AOS and hoses, I also suspect the problem might be connected to that recent change. Probably start there thanks for the response.

Quick Reply: Need some idle advice.