Sponsored by:

"The Bird" is now a duck! quacking noise - driver's side

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 12:26 PM
TheBird
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "The Bird" is now a duck! quacking noise - driver's side

We replaced almost all of the suspension last fall including new coffin arms and the PO just put fresh brakes on the car. Tomorrow i'm going to pull the front wheels and have a look.

the noise only happens at low RPM and vehicle speed. I'm guessing maybe a CV boot or a wheel bearing but I have never heard either of those parts make this duck-lick quacking sound.

​​​​​​​Very difficult to look and feel cool with your Porsche quacking like a toy rubber ducky!
Old 06-02-2018, 10:13 PM
TheBird
Intermediate

Default suspension dropped one side

After getting the bird onto level ground I could see the suspension on the driver's side is about 1/2" lower than the passenger side. I can't fit two fingers between the driver side tire and the top of the fender lip but have room to spare on the passenger side. What dropped?
Old 06-05-2018, 12:16 PM
TheBird
Intermediate

OK, seems the ground was not as flat as I thought. Suspension height seems OK side to side. Since the sound follows the wheel speed I am guessing CV and or the CV boot. From the wheel bearing I'd expect more of a grinding noise. The rubber of the CV boot is what I think might be "quacking". Breaker breaker one nine... anyone out there got their ears on? This is rubber duck!
Old 06-07-2018, 03:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBird
OK, seems the ground was not as flat as I thought. Suspension height seems OK side to side. Since the sound follows the wheel speed I am guessing CV and or the CV boot. From the wheel bearing I'd expect more of a grinding noise. The rubber of the CV boot is what I think might be "quacking". Breaker breaker one nine... anyone out there got their ears on? This is rubber duck!
Get the car in the air supported by the body/chassis lift points so the wheels can be turned and inspect the CV boots. If you spot even one CV boot that is torn, split, or otherwise not intact my info it is time to drop the shafts, clean/inspect the CV bearings and if ok repack with fresh grease then install with new CV boots. My 2002 needed this at around 260K miles.

Even if you find all the CV boots in good condition you can spin the wheels and check for any abnormal or difference in noise or feel or effort compared to the other wheels. Check the front wheels too..

Check for a bad spot in the tire or something in the tire, too. Also, I have had a loose under body plastic panel make a goofy noise so check all the under body panels are secure. They might look ok with the car stationary but at speed air flow can cause the panel to rub against a tire, a wheel, or the ground.

Quick Reply: "The Bird" is now a duck! quacking noise - driver's side