Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance costs

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 12:12 AM
kjtar
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, frankly, I'm surprised that on an average they don't last longer. But, the thing that _really_ worries me is that RMS (rear main seal) problem. If I do get a Boxster, chances are very good that it won't be on warranty. Given that, is there any Boxster that can't get the RMS problem? I mean, any serial number afterwhich the problem has been fixed? And, does Porsche even acknowledge the problem (for out of warranty cars?) I know the 968 has that pinion bearing problem with manual transmissions, and they've never officially acknowledged that one...
Thanks for any and all responses,
Tom
Old 05-06-2004, 09:57 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

Well, if you're a DIY'er, pulling the engine on a boxster is not that big a deal...so pulling the engine to replace a rear main seal is not that big a thing in my book, neither is replacing the clutch. The only problem I have with the clutch is the high price for a piece of **** factory clutch that only lasts 30K or so...
Old 05-06-2004, 02:35 PM
kjtar
Track Day

No, I'm not that much of a DIYer. Oil changes, filter changes, yeah, maybe those, but pulling an engine? No way. Looks like I'll go searching for another car, too bad Porsche isn't (apparently) willing to help out on what seems to be a design or engineering flaw. Anyone else have a take on this to give me hope/encouragement?
Old 05-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Baron009
Pro

Maybe look at a Nissan 350Z then.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:22 PM
kjtar
Track Day

Or maybe a 964. Probably get one of those for about what a '97 or '98 986 would be going for. If anyone gets more definite info. on the RMS problem/solution, please post to this thread, not completely giving up yet.
Thanks, everyone.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:42 PM
jdm
Track Day

Default I'd dispute that clutch life calc

30k as an average is way too low. I know a dozen other Bx drivers and none have seen a new clutch yet (w/ miles varying from 12k to 65k). I s'pose if you do a lot of tracking and aren't very graceful it would go early, but then I also read one guy that was at something like 85 or 90k and still on the last of the original.
Most of us are thinking/expecting 55-60k range (I'at 33k adn not a hint of slip).

john m
Old 05-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're relly worried about the RMS issue, buy your used Boxster certified from a dealer to get the extended warranty which I believe is now pretty substantial. (Last year, mine came with an extended one year/unlimited mileage, but I think they've upped that.) Most of the RMS problems show up pretty early. If you drive it daily and it doesn't snow up in the first couple of years, you're probably not going to have a problem. If you buy certified, it will be covered under warranty until it's fixed.

Also, I've read look for cars built after March of 1999. And for what it's worth (and I hope I don't jinx myself!) my March built '99 has 23.7k and is still dry.

Old 05-08-2004, 07:52 PM
kjtar
Track Day

Thanks for the advice, I'll start looking around now that I'm gainfully employed again. BTW, if anyone's looking for a new Mazda (wink)
Best regards,
Tom
Old 05-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got 33k on my clutch an no slip. (knock on wood) I expect to get many more miles of life out of it. The only time I've "abused" the clutch was at an autocross - and I'm not doing that again!

When it comes time to replace, I'll look into upgrading the clutch, if that's possible.

Quick Reply: Maintenance costs