New Boxster owner and Member, Introduction and Top issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 06:04 PM
Bleung311
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Boxster owner and Member, Introduction and Top issue

Hi Everyone,

I recently acquired a 2000 Boxster, 5 speed. I have always been a fan of Porsche and its offerings so finally took the plunge. I fell in love with handling when I first test drove the vehicle and have been even more impressed since taking ownership.

In the first week, I had a top failure which ended up breaking the red socket on the convertible rod. I ended up disconnecting the assembly and making it a manual operation which I actually like better than the motor drive.

When the socket broke, I was in the process of putting the top up. I had to get the top to a point where I could drive it home which took helping the top along while holding the motor button. Now the light on the dash for the top stays on all the time. With the tops drive linkage disconnected, I pressed the convertible top button until the transmission actuated the limit switch to turn off the light in the dash.

Here is is my question. when I pull down the latch to open the top, the windows drop the required 3”’s or so. The windows also drop correctly when opening the door confirming the correct operation of the windows. Once I raise the clamshell and put the top down manually, I can not raise the windows all the way up anymore unless I press the top Microswitch. I thought I had a bad microswitch so ordered one up and replaced it. Same thing, I could not raise the windows the last 3 inches with the top down.

It almost seems like the vehicle thinks the top is still in the process of opening or closing which may not allow you to raise the window. What logic needs to happen in order to allow the windows to go up all the way?

Any ideas on how to correct this situation so I can roll up the windows fully while on the highway?

Thanks in advance!!

Bill

Old 05-25-2018, 01:53 AM
CalSierra986
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Push the button on the dash to close the top. If that does not work push it to open. I have ditched the motor and I open and close mine manually. It also allowed me to put a glass window top from a 2002 on a 1997
As long as the mechanic remembers to do the top manually my system works.
JonS

Quick Reply: New Boxster owner and Member, Introduction and Top issue