Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused on engine replacement costs. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 09:28 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Confused on engine replacement costs. Help please.

Hi Guys,

I've been searching the internet and the forum for the last hour and feel like I'm more confused than when I started. I race an '04 Boxster S as an F class PCA car. I'd like to understand my options on an inevitable engine replacement. Obviously I can buy a used 2004 Boxster with low miles for around $10k, but I'm curious about a "factory new" engine. I hear other folks with SPB say they have a factory new engine sitting on their shelf. Where did they get such? How much do they cost? What about the short block discussion going on in the 996 forum. Is buying a block from Porsche directly now a cheaper option? Charles from LN Engineering mentioned that purchasing a block would not be cheaper because of all the other parts needed? What did he mean? How much would that option end up costing?

Anyways, any clarification on my options for a PCA legal replacement engine and where to get it would be much appreciated.

JP

P.S. I'm not a DiYer so whatever replacement option I choose would be done by Speed Sport Tuning of Danbury, CT.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:21 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

You would need a 04 Boxster S with a 3.2l engine. Think they are still above 10k. SPB uses 2.5l I believe.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:11 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

If you are racing you need ARP rod bolts, only way to get them is install by hand, so you might as well install in the engine you have while rebuilding the engine. Then you know what you have & what it's limitations are.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:00 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
Hi Guys,

I've been searching the internet and the forum for the last hour and feel like I'm more confused than when I started. I race an '04 Boxster S as an F class PCA car. I'd like to understand my options on an inevitable engine replacement. Obviously I can buy a used 2004 Boxster with low miles for around $10k, but I'm curious about a "factory new" engine. I hear other folks with SPB say they have a factory new engine sitting on their shelf. Where did they get such? How much do they cost? What about the short block discussion going on in the 996 forum. Is buying a block from Porsche directly now a cheaper option? Charles from LN Engineering mentioned that purchasing a block would not be cheaper because of all the other parts needed? What did he mean? How much would that option end up costing?

Anyways, any clarification on my options for a PCA legal replacement engine and where to get it would be much appreciated.

JP

P.S. I'm not a DiYer so whatever replacement option I choose would be done by Speed Sport Tuning of Danbury, CT.
A couple of years ago I explored the cost of a factory supplied replacement engine for my 2002 Boxster 2.7l. The informal quote was $17K for a factory engine with a suitable core. $26K without a core.

I would have to believe this price has gone up and would be even more for a newer engine with more displacement.

But of course you can get a quote by visiting your local Porsche dealer parts department. If the engine is installed by an authorized dealer I believe it comes with a 1 year labor 2 year 24K miles parts warranty.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:12 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

So where to get a used engine is here. Basically a list of P-car specializing wrecking yards. Now what you should do and can do for your racing class I'll leave to the racers.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:11 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefocke
So where to get a used engine is here. Basically a list of P-car specializing wrecking yards. Now what you should do and can do for your racing class I'll leave to the racers.
A new engine would be lovely, even a good reman would be nice. But for $15k or more? I would check with Mikes sources and do a search for a lower mileage engine--something under 50k miles. Figure $5 to $7 grand. And don't be in a hurry, something will come along. Is there money to be won racing that can make it more than an expensive hobby?
Old 06-04-2018, 11:03 PM
thebutterson
Rennlist Member

I got an email from LN Engineering saying RND is having a sale on boxster engines for $8500 with no core charge and free shipping
Old 06-09-2018, 02:13 PM
Doug427
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently wrote to RND inquiring about a rebuilt engine for my '02 S model. Here's what I got in return:

We currently have an M96.21 engine in stock that is ready to ship. The cost of this clearance engine is $8500 including freight to commercial address in the COTUS 48 states (liftgate or residential extra). Core charge is reduced to $1000 - we will not ding you for the cracked head(s).

Engine is sold without warranty due to clearance pricing. A 2 yr / unlimited mile parts warranty is available for $5000.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you. We can get an engine out to you asap. If you are ready to purchase, please let me know and I can get the ball rolling.

Sincerely,

Charles Navarro
RND Engines

You read that right - $8500 for the engine with NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:14 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug427
I recently wrote to RND inquiring about a rebuilt engine for my '02 S model. Here's what I got in return:

We currently have an M96.21 engine in stock that is ready to ship. The cost of this clearance engine is $8500 including freight to commercial address in the COTUS 48 states (liftgate or residential extra). Core charge is reduced to $1000 - we will not ding you for the cracked head(s).

Engine is sold without warranty due to clearance pricing. A 2 yr / unlimited mile parts warranty is available for $5000.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you. We can get an engine out to you asap. If you are ready to purchase, please let me know and I can get the ball rolling.

Sincerely,

Charles Navarro
RND Engines

You read that right - $8500 for the engine with NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER.
Yep. SSF is discounting these engines heavily to sell slow moving SKUs, so we can make way for more popular M-codes and now 9A1 engines. We are offering an optional warranty on these through LN since SSF is selling them with no warranty.

This is no different than if an independent shop or a DIY customer buys a crate engine from Porsche or now shortblock. Those are sold sans-warranty unless you have the dealership build and install it.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:15 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JP66
Hi Guys,

JP

You are in good hands with Spencer @ Speed Sport. Pose all these questions to him - he won't steer you wrong.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:55 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

$8500 including freight. Really seems like a good deal. I went to their website and noticed that engines used for racing were not eligible for a warranty. Kinda puts the accountability in the owner's/racer's hands.

It's not in my plan, but if I were serious about racing, I'd probably try to scrape up enough to buy 2.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:31 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
$8500 including freight. Really seems like a good deal. I went to their website and noticed that engines used for racing were not eligible for a warranty. Kinda puts the accountability in the owner's/racer's hands.

It's not in my plan, but if I were serious about racing, I'd probably try to scrape up enough to buy 2.
Yup, no warranty on the track, even for full price engines, but the same goes with any engine from any source, even if you have the Porsche dealership build the engine and install it. That said, we have over ten years and thousands of engines that we've sleeved with Nickies, many with years of track use, with no issues as long as you use the proper oil, install a 2 quart deep sump, motorsports aos, and keep it cool. Not to mention not missing a shift. That helps too.
Attached Images
Old 06-12-2018, 01:28 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

my recommendation is go with a good quality done right reman from RND, especially at that price and run driven race oil. I have a customer that is now over 300 race hours (not track hours, rather race hours)on his RND 2.7 with ZERO issues.

Quick Reply: Confused on engine replacement costs. Help please.