Sponsored by:

Need Brake Pad Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 01:56 PM
Pastor T
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Brake Pad Advice

This is certainly not a new topic. There is a lot of information on brake pads on this site and it is difficult to sort through. However, I am looking for a short concise info on brake pads. I drive my 2000 Boxster 2.7 base aggressively and spirited on the street and the mountain roads in northern California. I track my car about 5 times a year. What brake pads would you suggest.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:35 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Performance friction 08's or pagids
Old 04-29-2018, 01:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

My 2002 base was happy with the stock pads/rotors given nearly the same usage. The difference is I never tracked my car and my spirited driving was rather subdued around town but I had access to mountain roads where I live and drive and visited these once in a while.

Brake pad/rotor life was surprisingly good but of course more spirited driving, and especially track use, will almost certainly result in less service life. Price one pays. But the stock pads/rotors were quiet, readily available, and I could count on the rotors/pads performing the same way set after set. (With 317K miles I went through a few sets of pads/rotors.)

With tracking involved I urge you to do a brake fluid (and if a manual car clutch fluid) flush/bleed more often than the every 2 years Porsche specifies.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:44 AM
Plastikos
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2 cents:

I have a 2004 S. Currently do AX and track multiple times per year. I initially went from stock pads to the Pagid sport pads in the front, OEM rear. Very distinct improvement most notably in regards to fade on the track. After maybe two seasons using those, I upgraded to Pagid yellow (endurance) in the front, and the sport pads in the rear. Again notable improvement, and the endurance pads have been very gentle on the rotor, and wear incredibly long. I have 16k on the yellows (10mm remaining), and just changed the rear. I went with PFC 8s in the rear, just to try something different.

As you probably are aware, brake pad sensors won’t work with any of these pads in case that is a concern for you. Also, the pads are thicker and the stock dampers won’t fit in until the pads have some wear on them. And yes the yellows are definitely squeaky around town, although after about a year / gettting dampers to fit it went away (mostly).

Quick Reply: Need Brake Pad Advice