Sponsored by:

Sports suspension question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003 | 06:34 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Question Sports suspension question.

I'm ready to order or buy a new Boxster S. (Hopefully tomorrow.)

Does anyone know anything about the Sports Suspension? Is it too harsh for everyday or is it only slightly firmer than the normal chasis?

I'm considering the Boxster S Special edition and from the web site it seems like it has a sports chasis.

Here's the quote: "True roadster character is emphasized by lowering the body by 10 millimeters and by especially sporty suspension settings. This sports suspension improves the car’s roadholding still further and permits higher lateral acceleration values."

I don' have access to a car with the sports suspension but I have driven a Boxster S.

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 12-31-2003 | 10:25 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

I had the sport suspension and it was fine, but I replaced it with the ROW M030 for lower ride height and more compliant ride. If you think you might do that as well, then just get the base suspension and upgrade it to ROW 030, otherwise if not, then sport suspension is fine.
Old 12-31-2003 | 12:28 PM
JeffES
Pro

IMO,
The sports suspension is a good bit firmer than stock. I wanted to be able to "sportingly" (if that's a word) handle the back roads of Va, Md, and WV, plus drive into DC & Baltimore from time to time. I tried a mix of firmer suspension components & larger wheels, and settled on "stock" for the suspension and 18" wheels. While the stiffer suspension felt great on the back roads, it simply didn't work on the less than decent streets of DC....
Ghost makes an excellent point - 030 with lowering (ride height closer to the center of suspension travel) is much better than 030 w/o lowering (ride height near the top of suspension travel - leads to bottoming out/hitting the bump stop).
Enjoy the Boxster!!
J
Old 12-31-2003 | 04:55 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Smile

I just ordered my Boxster S Anniversary Edition today. It shoudl arrive in March or April.

I don't think the sports suspension they mention is the 030. I thinks it's just a lowered suspension. Anyway, time will tell.

Thanks for your input.

Now I wait...

Charlie C
Old 12-31-2003 | 10:21 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

I have 030 (USA specs). I find the suspension is just fine for our roads (Birmingham actually has great road quality). I agree with Ghost though - the lower ride height of ROW 030 is desirable.

Congrats on the order. I think the Anniversary Edition looks great!
Old 01-01-2004 | 11:25 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Ghost Rider
I had the sport suspension and it was fine, but I replaced it with the ROW M030 for lower ride height and more compliant ride. If you think you might do that as well, then just get the base suspension and upgrade it to ROW 030, otherwise if not, then sport suspension is fine.
What is the difference in height between the normal USA spec. and the ROW height. Is it 10mm? I only ask because that's how much the Anniv. model is lowered and I'm thinking maybe they used ROW specs.

Charlie
Old 01-02-2004 | 10:52 AM
JeffES
Pro

Sean,
You're quite fortunate there - B'ham area had much better roads than I expected!
Sounds as if there's a bit of confusion here... the suspensions available are:
Standard USA
Standard ROW
030/sport USA (stiffer than standard, same ride height)
030/sport ROW (10mm lower)

More than once the data on ROW suspensions have "leaked" into the USA specs - but unless they've gotten a DOT waiver, the "sport suspension" equipped Boxster will come to the US at the standard USA ride height.

Sounds like a great Boxster!
J
Old 01-02-2004 | 11:04 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Ghost Rider
Is there any difference between ROW M030 and the US M030 other than height?

If it's just a height difference, how is that achieved?

Charlie
Old 01-08-2004 | 04:36 AM
GTRdream
Intermediate

Smile

i have a used H&R coil kit if u want it
for the S

Quick Reply: Sports suspension question.