Sponsored by:

Huge coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 05:22 PM
rdzmzda
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge coolant leak

So I just bought a 2002 Boxster S with 93k miles yesterday. It was driving fine just had a small leak. I was keeping the fluid level topped off trying to get it home from where I bought it. I pulled into a gas station and then all of a sudden I get an error low oil pressure and I hear a clanking noise. From what I can tell there is not a huge oil leak or any oil leak and there is oil on the dipstick when I pull it. I do however have only cold air blowing when the heater is on and a huge coolant leak. With the car off and trying to fill the reservoir I notice that (what appears to be mid car) theres a coolant leak that leaks out as fast as I pour it in. Did I just buy a paperweight or what do we think the issues are. I have not got it towed home yet and I am kinda hoping catastrophic water pump failure as this seems like a logical thing and least expensive fix ....Thanks for any insight guys I hope this will still be a pleasurable experience into the Porsche world.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:25 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Calm down. Where on the ground under your car is the puddle? Is there moisture around the coolant tank & under
the right rear fender? (betting there is.) Under the engine--water pump or coolant hoses. When it cooled down, did the oil pressure come back and did it quiet down? No? That's bad.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:01 PM
rdzmzda
2nd Gear

Ok so I changed out the water pump and no more oil issues and no more noise. The water pump was really shot. So since then I have no more coolant leaking on the ground. I have flushed the system and tried to fill it back up. I keep going good and then it says low coolant on me. I have no clue if there were pockets of air or what from when i drained and went to flush out the coolant system or if I have another mysterious leak to where I have no clue....it is not under the car though. I am thinking only time will tell and it is probably just air pockets trying to get coolant to it that lowered the coolant level.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:48 PM
hani.eid1230
5th Gear

any updates?

Originally Posted by rdzmzda
Ok so I changed out the water pump and no more oil issues and no more noise. The water pump was really shot. So since then I have no more coolant leaking on the ground. I have flushed the system and tried to fill it back up. I keep going good and then it says low coolant on me. I have no clue if there were pockets of air or what from when i drained and went to flush out the coolant system or if I have another mysterious leak to where I have no clue....it is not under the car though. I am thinking only time will tell and it is probably just air pockets trying to get coolant to it that lowered the coolant level.
Old 12-30-2022, 11:44 PM
Bush Pilot
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Mine said low coolant for awhile too even though I knew that I put in the same amount of coolant that I took out. After a little driving with the vent on the coolant tank in the up position (open I think) the low coolant light went out.

Quick Reply: Huge coolant leak