Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to find the problem with this data?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 10:48 PM
robson
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to find the problem with this data?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new on the forum. For the past month I've been struggling to identify the source of a problem. I got this car(Porsche Boxster 2001) two months ago as a hobby and started fixing a few things.

At the beginning I could smell something from exhaust and the fuel consumption was 16gal/miles, now the smell is better and the consumption is at 19Gal/miles, since I got the car and fixed a few things(list is at the end). however, there is still something wrong.

As you can see on the live data below the Long term fuel trim is at 28%.on both Banks. According to some videos this leads to a possible Air vacuum leak and to test if this is the case you check the data on idle and at a high RPM, while on the high RMP the extra air on the chamber should be negligent compare to the amount needed and the Long term fuel trim should go down. on my case nothing changed.

Another possibility is a bad MAF, So, I checked my live data and the Mass Air Flow Rate is close to the expected but on the low range and is reporting accordingly.. I will check it again, if it's reading less than is actually passing it could be the problem.

I was not able to find the information on the manual, but after research a little bit I found that you should have a reading close to this below.

Idle: 12-24 kg/h | 0.44-0.88 lbs/Min
3000 rpm: 50-80 kg/h | 1.84-2.94 lbs/Min

At the beginning I though could be the O2 sensor, but now I'm not sure. as the problem is on both banks.

So I’m trying to find what I’m missing here, as I've already done the following:
  • Cleaned the MAF with MAF Spray Cleaner.
  • Changed the Filter
  • Cleaned the Throttle with the Proper Cleaner.
  • Make sure all the connection to the Throttle body are tight(No air leak).
  • Change the Fuel tank cap, just in case, as the o-ring seal was cracking dry.
  • Make sure there is no air leak on the oil caps at the trunk..
Any adivise will be wellcome.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:09 PM
The Radium King
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

more air than fuel, right? ltfm trying to add more fuel but not succeeding. no vacuum leak, maf working. if not an issue w too much air then an issue w not enough fuel. injectors (probably not as issue w all cyls) or fuel pressure (pressure regulator, fuel pump, fuel filter).
Old 03-12-2020, 10:57 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Buy & install a new Bosch MAF, you will notice a improvement.

Quick Reply: How to find the problem with this data?