Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Seats in a 986 - Do the Rails Match? Will the seats fit in the space?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 01:23 AM
cky3k
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 981 Seats in a 986 - Do the Rails Match? Will the seats fit in the space?

I'd really like to put 981 seats in my 02 Boxster S. I am not looking for alternative solutions/opinions on this thread. I am looking to get to the root of how plausible this is. Please let me know if you have any knowledge that may help:

1. Will 981 seats bolt right into my 986? - Does anyone know if the seat bolt patterns are the same?

2. The 981 is slightly bigger than the 986. I am wondering if the width, or depth of the seat backs may have issue clearing the console or roll bar. Im hoping someone has done this or seen pictures to let me know what might be involved in making these fit. (modifying console, roll bar, seat back casings etc.)

If anyone has any input at all on the logistics of doing a job like this, I'd appreciate it. With regards to the electrical, I do not need seat memory, and expect my Porsche customs shop can make the seat adjustments work. He was just not sure if anyone had successfully made these fit yet.
Old 11-26-2022, 02:42 PM
charlieo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any luck replacing 986 seats with 981 seats?

Originally Posted by cky3k
I'd really like to put 981 seats in my 02 Boxster S. I am not looking for alternative solutions/opinions on this thread. I am looking to get to the root of how plausible this is. Please let me know if you have any knowledge that may help:

1. Will 981 seats bolt right into my 986? - Does anyone know if the seat bolt patterns are the same?

2. The 981 is slightly bigger than the 986. I am wondering if the width, or depth of the seat backs may have issue clearing the console or roll bar. Im hoping someone has done this or seen pictures to let me know what might be involved in making these fit. (modifying console, roll bar, seat back casings etc.)

If anyone has any input at all on the logistics of doing a job like this, I'd appreciate it. With regards to the electrical, I do not need seat memory, and expect my Porsche customs shop can make the seat adjustments work. He was just not sure if anyone had successfully made these fit yet.
I am considering replacing my wornout 986 stock seats with newer seats. I found a set of 981's that look great but I'd like to know if they will fit in a 986. Anyone had any experience swapping 981 seats into a 986?

Quick Reply: 981 Seats in a 986 - Do the Rails Match? Will the seats fit in the space?