Help a Miata Owner Choose a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 11:26 PM
Miata ND
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a Miata Owner Choose a Porsche

Hello all,

I currently own an ND Miata (latest gen), but am in the market for an upgrade. I love the lightweight feel of my miata, but want something with a little more power and capability. Extra storage and refinement would also be welcome. I autocross my car 1 to 2 times a month, and plan to continue doing so. My budget is about $35,000.

I am considering a used Porsche because I prefer naturally aspirated, lightweight, rear wheel drive cars. Currently I am looking into certified pre-owned 370Zs as well. Reliability is a big concern for me. I do not want a car where I will be constantly worried about mechanical problems. I was wondering if you guys could help me with some choices you think would be a good fit. A 981 Cayman S or Boxster S is the dream, but they seem to be a bit beyond my price point and I don't know if I trust the reliability. However, if you guys really think it's worth it, I would potentially wait another 6 to 12 months to save more money for such a car.

Please let me know your thoughts, and if you have any other car brand suggestions. I test drove a 2016 WRX STI recently, and while the car felt good, I missed the nimbleness of the miata. I am planning on test driving a 370Z soon to see how I like it. Hopefully the weight will not be a huge issue for me.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2017, 11:43 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

For nimble (and tossable) you are on-target with a Boxster or Cayman. If a 981 S is too expensive, how about a 987.2? These are young enough (9A1 engine) to avoid the IMS issue.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:05 AM
Cooperd0g
5th Gear

987.1 or .2 would be my choice. I love those things. The amount of usable space is incredible for a two seater. If I didn’t want a back seat I would totally be getting one of these.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:49 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

done
Old 01-06-2018, 01:45 PM
oversteerdawg
Advanced

I'm going to do you a favor and tell you to remove EVERYTHING else from your potential new car list except a Boxster/Cayman. Having had a Miata and Boxster S in the past, I know exactly what you're looking for. A Boxster/Cayman is the only car that will give you the nimble feel that you're used to. However, it will also give you a sense of rigidity and power that a Miata owner can only dream about.

As far as 987 vs 981...I actually think the 987 is a more tossable car, and the steering in that car is really a high water mark in the automotive world. The 981 is probably the "better" car, but you will love both. Just find the nicest example of either that you budget will allow.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:30 PM
10/10ths
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I was you....

...I put over 500,000 miles on a 1993 Miata and a 1990 with an FMIII turbo system.

I sold both and bought a 2004 Porsche Boxster S.

Best thing I've ever done.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:57 AM
Fenrir
1st Gear

I, too, own a Miata and a Porsche, really do enjoy them both, and know what it is that you are talking about.

I purchased the NA Miata when it first came to market, at the time really enjoying my 944 (which I drove spiritedly, my daily ride until rust did we part), but missed having a convertible / roadster. Miata was at that time the “only” game in town, and fun to drive with the top down. Mazda got so much “right” – pure roadster fun: well balanced, good handling, light and nimble, especially compared to American muscle cars, but the NA was noticeably lacking in power which my 944 and most definitely muscle cars have in spades. Take Ford’s Mustang for e.g., V8 power-plus, of course it goes really fast but doesn’t much like bendy roads (Fishtail? Driftastic!). Though the new Mustang turns sharper than any muscle car before, it’s still no Miata much less a Porsche. Mazda has improved Miata’s power and performance over the years (though a topic for debate in terms of the latest generation as to what it may or may not have lost in turn for it), selling the NA for an NB which I still have, much improved, but not enough, and bought it with the full intention of upgrading after-market which I’ve done. As you’re likely already aware, there’s lots of after-market support, upgrades and performance mods available, including Mazda Motorsports (solo and club racing, and pro racing support), including “plug and play” spec Miata race intake/exhaust systems and upgraded parts (JDM, Racing Beat, CARiD, etc.), to turbo kits and engine swaps/LS V8 conversions. Rumor is the new 2019 Miata (ND2) will incorporate some or more of these “solutions” , along with a slew of supposed new improvements, and will among other changes roll out from the factory with a new engine delivering 190hp stock, while remaining light and nimble. (Sounds interesting).

That said, I also have a Boxster, and absolutely love it. Yes, it’s a roadster and pretty much the comparison ends there as they really are different cars, both fun but different, yet everything you mention, what you particularly love about your Miata is there in the Porsche (take one out for a test drive, and you’ll know instantly). As to your budget, you should easily be able to find a low mileage Boxster/S in excellent, preloved condition up to and including 2013-14 model year at a dealer (even better if private sale of course), assuming you want that pure roadster feeling (the Boxster is). Or, if you prefer, you should be able to find a nice 996 generation 911 for around $20,000. Just be sure in addition to checking title and VIN, etc. to get a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) done by a reputable mechanic / shop, one that is knowledgeable about these cars and their idiosyncrasies. For more about PPIs, see: https://www.pca.org/news/2017-05-30/...86-gen-boxster Meantime, as to reliability, JD Power ranked Porsche 2nd (after Lexus) on vehicle dependability in their “vehicle dependability study”, as they have for several years now, with overall vehicle dependability improving across the board over-all. (For more info about the study, see: http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...dability-study ). This, provided you maintain your Porsche (Miata’s need regular servicing, too, of course, but you’ll find that they’re a tad more forgiving in this department than is Porsche – price of performance, of course).

Best of luck in your search!
Old 05-05-2018, 08:49 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Buy the newest Porsche you can afford. If that turns out to be a 986, fix the IMS if it hasn’t already been done and look for many trouble free miles. I have thousands of miles on my 986 at one of the most grueling environments for a car, Sebring Raceway. I am tell you that the 986 is one of the most reliable, robust cars I’ve ever owned.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:09 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Miata ND
Hello all,

I currently own an ND Miata (latest gen), but am in the market for an upgrade. I love the lightweight feel of my miata, but want something with a little more power and capability. Extra storage and refinement would also be welcome. I autocross my car 1 to 2 times a month, and plan to continue doing so. My budget is about $35,000.

I am considering a used Porsche because I prefer naturally aspirated, lightweight, rear wheel drive cars. Currently I am looking into certified pre-owned 370Zs as well. Reliability is a big concern for me. I do not want a car where I will be constantly worried about mechanical problems. I was wondering if you guys could help me with some choices you think would be a good fit. A 981 Cayman S or Boxster S is the dream, but they seem to be a bit beyond my price point and I don't know if I trust the reliability. However, if you guys really think it's worth it, I would potentially wait another 6 to 12 months to save more money for such a car.

Please let me know your thoughts, and if you have any other car brand suggestions. I test drove a 2016 WRX STI recently, and while the car felt good, I missed the nimbleness of the miata. I am planning on test driving a 370Z soon to see how I like it. Hopefully the weight will not be a huge issue for me.

Thanks!
I test drove a new 350Z before buying my 986S 13 years ago. The worst thing about the "Z" was a huge blind spot, don't know if the 370Z will be as bad there. I have test driven all variations of the MX-5 at length including the club sport versions, my 986S is far superior in every way except cost of ownership. It seems spacious compared to a Miata. Unless you are looking for a car with a warranty drive a 986S 1st, find a nice expensive one that has been maintained well.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:27 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

stick with 2009+ DFI motors
Old 05-06-2018, 10:04 PM
Upstate101
Instructor

Or, if you are primarily concerned about the IMS, look for a nice 986S/base with the IMS bearing replaced. It seems that nice ones pop up regularly in Pano, and for about half of your budget.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:32 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I blundered across this on CL today. Since you want power and like Miatas...
Old 05-07-2018, 01:33 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefocke
I blundered across this on CL today. Since you want power and like Miatas...
I think you forgot something.

The OP says he has $35000 to spend? Seems to be a lot of money to me. Everything says to me that you should buy the newest Boxster or Cayman S you can afford. More refinement, better reliability, and more power are the big things.Nissan? They're okay, but nothing is quite as cool as a Porsche!
Old 05-09-2018, 12:08 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

For $35K you can get a heck of a 987.2. Definitely an S, an RS60, no IMS issues, and get behind the wheel of what many think to be the best handling car made, fantastic reliability.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:10 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Here is one: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ion-577-a.html

Quick Reply: Help a Miata Owner Choose a Porsche