Sponsored by:

987 with ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Bikerdiverman
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987 with ticking noise

I have just bought a 2007 987 3.4 Boxster S with 57K on the clock, and full service history from a dealer.

After a week, the car developed a fairly loud ticking noise form the engine. Not loud enough to be heard whilst driving, but loud when outside the car. The noise is there whether hot or cold and the pitch rises and falls with the revs. There is also a black sooty deposit on the tailpipe.

The car drives well with plenty of power, but is noisy. It also used 1 Litre of oil in 600 miles.

There is no sign of oil and coolant mixing in either the coolant or the oil.

The supplying garage have told me they can't find a fault, should I be concerned?
Old 11-18-2017, 07:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerdiverman
I have just bought a 2007 987 3.4 Boxster S with 57K on the clock, and full service history from a dealer.

After a week, the car developed a fairly loud ticking noise form the engine. Not loud enough to be heard whilst driving, but loud when outside the car. The noise is there whether hot or cold and the pitch rises and falls with the revs. There is also a black sooty deposit on the tailpipe.

The car drives well with plenty of power, but is noisy. It also used 1 Litre of oil in 600 miles.

There is no sign of oil and coolant mixing in either the coolant or the oil.

The supplying garage have told me they can't find a fault, should I be concerned?
Unless the engine is emitting clouds of soot (black smoke) don't worry about the soot. Soot happens.

While there is no fault -- no CEL and no active (or pending) error codes -- did the supplying garage pinpoint from where the noise was coming from? Knowing this goes a long way to (possibly) knowing what may be going on. The noise could be internal to the engine, and everyone generally assumes this, but doesn't have to be. My 2002 Boxster developed a ticking noise that proved to be something got caught in the accessory drive. As mysteriously as it got caught it got uncaught on the trip the car made from my office to the dealer on the back of a tow truck.

There can be a loose plug, an exhaust leak, just a noisy injector.

I assume the oil level is good? The oil's "fresh"? A suitable oil is in the engine? 0w-40, or 5w-40? That someone didn't put 5w-30 or something like that in the engine?

Oil consumption -- if you are accurately measuring the oil consumption and you may not be -- is high. For a "new" car the oil consumption is at the limit (1 liter/1000km). For a used car you probably have no recourse if the oil consumption is truly that high unless you have some kind of limited warranty on the car by the seller.

(What can happen is a car is for sale. It gets driven often but briefly. Water accumulates in the oil. Then the car is sold and the new owner drives the car a lot and gets the engine and oil nice and hot. This causes the water to leave the oil and the oil level drops. The drop looks like the engine's burning oil but it doesn't have to be. To run a proper oil consumption test requires some work and discipliine.)

Based on what you posted it sort of reads ike the supplying shop is dancing around the niose issue. You need a shop that can pinpoint the source of the noise and advise you what's likely going on. Maybe it is the supplying shop when approached the right way. Or maybe you need another shop. Along with pinpointing the source of the noise it might be worth the effort to do a proper oil/filter service. At this time the shop can collect an oil sample suitable to have analyzed to see if there is a high PPM count of bearing metal or aluminum in the oil. The engine is then filled with an approved oil with a suitable viscosity grade for where you live and drive. The oil level is confirmed. Then you drive the car and carefully monitor the oil level change vs. miles to the point you have either confirmed the oil consumption is high or not high.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:01 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...y-exhaust.html
Old 11-19-2017, 11:33 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
I thought bore scoring but there are other explanations that are more common. So, instead of mentioning bore scoring and possibly scaring the pants off the OP I thought it best he hear it, if he hears it at all as it is not a given, after a tech has eliminated other explanations.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:55 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pull the plugs out of #5 and #6 and compare them to one or two from the other bank, report back the condition of them.

Cheers

Quick Reply: 987 with ticking noise