Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high beam & left blinker - voltage leak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 05:19 AM
jurassicfrog
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high beam & left blinker - voltage leak?

2002 boxster 986 base.

When I turn on the brights, the left turn signal seems to get some voltage... it starts to glow a bit on the dash and when I checked it out, the external bulb was glowing lightly as well. It would appear that the left blinker won't work with the brights on either. The right is fine.

I've looked online and some posts would seem to indicate that it's a fault in the switch on the column, but others seem to point to something in the headlight housing. I'd really like to narrow it down before buying a new switch.

Anyone deal with anything similar? Ideas?

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2017, 10:37 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i would check connections in and around the headlight assembly giving grounds a close look .....it seems like feedback
Old 11-04-2017, 01:03 AM
jurassicfrog
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by extanker
i would check connections in and around the headlight assembly giving grounds a close look .....it seems like feedback
Will do. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2017, 04:31 PM
Live2Hover
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's interesting, my 99 just started a similar problem. My left turn signal only works if my lever is in the "brights on" position.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:24 AM
jurassicfrog
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Live2Hover
That's interesting, my 99 just started a similar problem. My left turn signal only works if my lever is in the "brights on" position.
Yeah, I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet, but I did notice that it's the same with my fog lights. If I turn on my brights, the fog light indicator glows and the left turn signal does (lightly) as well. Same thing if I turn my fogs on.

Gremlins... when you're looking at the car initially, they seem more like Gizmo. After having it for a while, they end up being more like Stripe.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:45 PM
peytonimor7
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grounds for both headlights are located on the respective strut towers. The connectors can be finnicky if the mount for it is broken or the connector itself is not fully seated in the housing.

However the signal for both high beams and turn signal indicators come from the indicator switch on the column.

I would start your search there.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:31 AM
KMikkelsen
1st Gear

Hello,
Did anyone solve this?
I am experiencing the same issues.

/Kim
Old 11-09-2019, 02:08 PM
Boxing Cat
1st Gear

Default Figured it out

Had this problem after my headlight was replaced. Turned out that the headlight connector was only partially seated so just the low beams worked. Took the plastic wheel well liner out and pushed on the back of the headlight connector. All fixed.

Quick Reply: high beam & left blinker - voltage leak?