Sponsored by:

97' Tiptronic issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:30 AM
williamr91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 97' Tiptronic issues

A bit of a x-post from 986 forum. My 97' has 132xxx miles and the engine seems completely fine, exhaust doesn't smell funny, or have dark/white smoke. Rev's fine and aside from being a small engine no issues I can see.

The car however does have issues. Ran codes and got secondary bank rich (MAF or something, not too concerned right now). But the one I am is P0722 seems like it might be an electrical issue with the TCU.

The physical symptoms are as followed. Very slow reverse with highish revs, maybe 5 mph in reverse but revving 2,500 rpm. No forward movement maybe an inch but that is it, doesn't work in manual mode or standard drive.

I'm planning on doing the fluid and filter in hopes it is low, but my local indy say's it probably is a moot point until it is diagnosed, I would have already done it but my damn jack doesn't go up high enough to fit my small stands under 10.5 inch stands...

My other thought is, maybe something disconnected in the inside (shift cables)?

So if you've read this far, I really appreciate it.

Anyone have similar experience with this? Care to share ideas? TIA.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by williamr91
A bit of a x-post from 986 forum. My 97' has 132xxx miles and the engine seems completely fine, exhaust doesn't smell funny, or have dark/white smoke. Rev's fine and aside from being a small engine no issues I can see.

The car however does have issues. Ran codes and got secondary bank rich (MAF or something, not too concerned right now). But the one I am is P0722 seems like it might be an electrical issue with the TCU.

The physical symptoms are as followed. Very slow reverse with highish revs, maybe 5 mph in reverse but revving 2,500 rpm. No forward movement maybe an inch but that is it, doesn't work in manual mode or standard drive.

I'm planning on doing the fluid and filter in hopes it is low, but my local indy say's it probably is a moot point until it is diagnosed, I would have already done it but my damn jack doesn't go up high enough to fit my small stands under 10.5 inch stands...

My other thought is, maybe something disconnected in the inside (shift cables)?

So if you've read this far, I really appreciate it.

Anyone have similar experience with this? Care to share ideas? TIA.
No direct experience.

First any signs of a Tip fluid leak? If there is leak sign there is almost to be low fluid. Low fluid should be dealt with -- along with the leak -- pronto.

As for the P0722 error code, my reference offers this:

* P0722 (Porsche codes 36 and 90) Speed sensor - signal implausibleTransmission output speed monitoring - signal implausible
* P0722 Open circuit(Porsche Short circuit to B+ code 36)
- Short circuit to ground - ATF level not OK - Faulty torque converter - Slipping clutch or brakes
* P0722 Open circuit(Porsche Short circuit to B+ code 90}
- Short circuit to ground - ATF level not OK - Slipping clutch or brakes.

If you find no signs of leaks and the fluid level ok I think the next thing to suspect is the inductive transmitter on the valve body AKA (output speed sensor).

I think this is Item #2 in this diagram:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=340-02

Check the connector for signs of corrosion, or other damage.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:56 PM
williamr91
Pro

Thanks Macster, there is definitely signs of something leaking. Most likely the ATF. A lot of gunk underneath.

I'm not too sure what Porsche codes 36 & 90 along with Porsche Short circuit to B+ code 90 things mean. But your response seems to be what I am planning on doing, change the filter & put in new ATF. I really hope that works. I do not want to replace a tranny or something major on this car, I bought in hopes to flip, if I keep things under $1,500 total, I should be able to break even and give someone a well sorted 986 for a great deal.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by williamr91
Thanks Macster, there is definitely signs of something leaking. Most likely the ATF. A lot of gunk underneath.

I'm not too sure what Porsche codes 36 & 90 along with Porsche Short circuit to B+ code 90 things mean. But your response seems to be what I am planning on doing, change the filter & put in new ATF. I really hope that works. I do not want to replace a tranny or something major on this car, I bought in hopes to flip, if I keep things under $1,500 total, I should be able to break even and give someone a well sorted 986 for a great deal.
With signs of a Tip fluid leak that increases the chance of low fluid and a Tip low on fluid can act up.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:50 PM
williamr91
Pro

Thanks again, I certainly hope so. Got the bracket off and the A frame/suspension bits (lack of a better term) and noticed how large the fill plug is...heading to the parts store soon hopefully there are no more surprises and if it works, I'll be a happy camper.

Quick Reply: 97' Tiptronic issues