Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There were no Porsches in Germany!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 01:57 PM
poindex30
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy There were no Porsches in Germany!!!

I just returned from an 11 day trip to Germany, Austria, and Italy and I was surprised to find that I see as many or more Porsches in the DC/Maryland area than I saw in Germany. I traveled from Frankfurt to Wurzburg to Nuremburg to Munich to Garmish through Austria, Italy and back and maybe saw 12 P cars total.

None of the 12 or so that I saw were on the Autobahn or Autostrade so they weren't even moving fast. BMW drivers were clearly the fastest drivers on average and by quite a large margin. My only guess is that since gas is so expensive in Europe and Porsche doesn't make diesel engines manufacturers must not sell as many large engined cars (and over 2 litres is large for a gas engine there).

Does anyone have any insight here?

Don't try to rent a Porsche without a Diners club card or an Amex. I saw rental 911s, even a TT, at the airport (Avis) but when I called to rent one for a day I was told the requirements; 30 or older (check), driving for 5 years or more (check - but how would they know?), 2 credit cards (check), but one must be a Diners (do they still make that card?) or Amex (darn!) I was on a family vacation and didn't want to spend too much time away from everyone else in a car so I didn't argue with them too much.

What are the requirements for renting a Porsche in the US?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2003, 03:15 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

I lived in Germany for nine years...

Porsche's are just as rare over there as they are here. In fact, If I remember my percentages correctly, they're more rare over there!

As far as fast drivers go, bmw's are very common, and do go fast if driven that way...

Renting Porsche's over here...Some major cities (like Dallas for one) and they'll run about $450 a day!
Old 12-01-2003, 03:43 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, you can rent a 996TT here for $450/day. Requirements last time I checked were the same as you stated except the age is 25 instead of 30.

Quick Reply: There were no Porsches in Germany!!!