My 2000 986-2.7 liter with 75 k miles ran dry

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 04:38 AM
Kf6vci
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My 2000 986-2.7 liter with 75 k miles ran dry

Now it won't start again.

* Junk in the fuel tank clogging the lines? (15 liters were put in)
* air in the system? Is there a way to let the air out near the injectors?
* Fuel Pump overheated - or the FP relay?

I bought a new FP, a new relay and a new fuel filter.

Next issue: how to open that big screw? Access underneath the battery... There is a special part.

Another Q: how long will take it to replace the FP and let any air out? Am scared of calling the Porsche Zentrum. The car cost only about $ 4,500 as RHD from the UK.

Seller was a perfectionist who had all kinds of stuff replaced including IMS and the door rubbers.

Cheers,

Chris

http://ibb.co/eEh8E5
Old 08-20-2017, 12:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Kf6vci
Now it won't start again.

* Junk in the fuel tank clogging the lines? (15 liters were put in)
* air in the system? Is there a way to let the air out near the injectors?
* Fuel Pump overheated - or the FP relay?

I bought a new FP, a new relay and a new fuel filter.

Next issue: how to open that big screw? Access underneath the battery... There is a special part.

Another Q: how long will take it to replace the FP and let any air out? Am scared of calling the Porsche Zentrum. The car cost only about $ 4,500 as RHD from the UK.

Seller was a perfectionist who had all kinds of stuff replaced including IMS and the door rubbers.

Cheers,

Chris

http://ibb.co/eEh8E5
Unlikely air is in the system. Besides with fuel back in the tank if the fuel pump runs it should force air out of the system.

Probably not junk in the fuel system either. My 2002 Boxster fuel pump quit at around 200K miles and the tank didn't have that much trash in it. The fuel tank fuel filter -- essentially the plastic housing/holder the fuel pump was in and which consisted of a very fine plastic mesh -- had plenty of surface area to allow fuel through.

I will mention though that if your car has the older replaceable style of inline fuel filter (like my 2003 Turbo has) the filter doesn't have much capacity and if you haven't changed it in a while maybe it is time...

Before you go replacing filters though, I suspect the problem is with the fuel pump.

You can approach this a couple of different ways. One way would be to expose the fuel pump, tht is the top of where the fuel pump fits into the tank. This requires the battery be disconnected -- save the radio code first! -- and the battery and battery box be removed.

Once the area above where the fuel pump is disconnect the pump's electrical leads from the harness and connect 12V "shop" power to these leads and see if the pump runs.

If the pump doesn't run with known good 12V power the pump is bad.

If the fuel pump runs then the problem is not at the fuel pump. A fuse or relay could be the problem.

Connect the fuel pump and then see if it runs when the key is turned to the on position.

If the fuel pump doesn't run then it is a fuse or relay.

The other way would be to start at the other end so to speak and check the fuse, swap it with a known good fuse or just replace it. Likewise the fuel pump relay. When I suspected the fuel pump quit in my car the tech loaned me his test bypass relay and I used this to confirm it wasn't the relay. (I had already eliminated the fuse.)

My Boxster's fuel pump was replaced at the dealer. I don't know how long it took. Not long though. But the tech had considerable experience and could have probably done the job in his sleep.

There are probably -- I have not taken the time to search -- Boxster fuel pump replacement write ups available and maybe even a video or two available.

The Bentley published Porsche Boxster Service Manual has a section on fuel pump replacement.

Fuel pump R&R covers several pages. I can hit the highlights.

It says you need a "VW Tool 3217" to unscrew the locking collar.

You need to reach down in the tank (wearing a fuel proof glove) and twist the fuel pump housing counter clockwise 15 degrees to release it from the holder on the floor of the tank.

Best advice I can offer would be to get a copy of the book unless you can find a good write up and ideally with pictures.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:39 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Search for : "Fuel Pump Lock Ring Tool 139 mm" about $100 !
Old 08-25-2017, 07:07 AM
Kf6vci
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heartfelt THANKS!

Helpful falls way short in describing the usefulness of your answers!

Chris

Quick Reply: My 2000 986-2.7 liter with 75 k miles ran dry