Sponsored by:

Value of 2001 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 11:41 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Value of 2001 Boxster S

I know these threads get old and are really boring if you can't actually see the car but hopefully someone can chime in...

I am not actually looking for a 986 but I stumbled across a nice-looking Boxster S local to me. Car had its original 3.2l motor rebuilt to 3.6l using all the LN Engineering goodies (that I am trying to educate myself on). Rebuild was done at 75k miles back in 2011, now sitting at 98k miles.

Car is silver/black with factory hardtop included. Seller says convertible top operates as it should and no rips in canvas or window. Other than engine, bone stock. No accidents. One rear quarter repainted due to a scratch.

Being sold by older gentleman, lots of documentation. I think his price is low but I have no idea what these cars are worth. I am reluctant to post a link to his FS ad because I don't want someone else to snap it up. Seems motivated to sell.

Seems like it would be a fun little daily driver and perhaps even a fun track car with a few suspension tweaks and reliability mods.

Ballpark value?
Old 08-20-2017, 01:02 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

There was a genuine Raby 3.6 sold recently on Bring A Trailer. It went for an astonishingly low premium over a regular 3,2.
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/200...che-boxster-s/
So a diy 3.6 ,even with LN parts is of questionable premium value to a 3,2.
Suggest you first get some Boxster experience with a cheaper 3,2 and see how you like the cars.
First step is to find a competent,honest Indie - because you will need him to do the PPI on the 3.6.
Make sure the 6 speed manual is absolutely perfect -test when it is cold. They are very expensive to repair.
More important -is it Smog-legal ans what does your Insurance Company think about the extra power mods?
Yes, I think I know which car you are looking at.
http://lnengineering.com/wp/wp-conte...-a-Porsche.pdf

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 08-20-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:34 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

$20.5k for that 2000 S doesn't seem like it didn't command a premium! That car, however, looks like it was in tip top shape and with some very nice upgrades/modifications.

I have pm'd Jake to see what he might be able to tell me. I don't think it was a diy motor, it was professionally built, I just don't know by whom. I know it is smog legal and my insurance company would never know it had extra power.

I would, of course, have a PPI done.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:46 AM
Kf6vci
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure where the "$ 20,500" price tag came from and whether this applies to the OP's car. But that ain't no bargain, sorry.

I bought 2 "S". One with tiptronic for the wife, one with 6-speed manual. The tiptronic was an insurance write off as the MoT tester drove it into the wall. The airbag deployed, the front bumper is cracked and the electric hood won't open. Paid less than $ 4,500 for it and the other one was about $ 5,200.

It needed brake disks and pads all around, wheel bearings, struts and parts. And the drive train was loose. A thorough PPI is a must. Also get the data read out. "Over-revving? Stage 2 or higher? Hell no
Old 08-20-2017, 11:36 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

My usual advice is plug the car numbers into www.kbb.com or www.nada.com and see what the wholesale or trade in values are.

This sets a starting point for price negotiation.

However, you want to be sure the car is worth owning.

Not too happy with the car's engine rebuild story. One can use the best parts but the engine can still be crap. Also, invariably an owner of such a car assigns a premium to the car's value and prices the car accordingly so this doesn't jive with the "low" (based on your comment) price.

Any paper work on the engine rebuild? Like who did it? If a reputable shop that's a plus.

The rebuilt engine has covered 23K miles and if a thorough road test: first as a passenger then as a driver; doesn't turn up any issues maybe (maybe) the rebuild is ok. There are exceptions -- there always are exceptions -- but a crummy engine rebuild should (should) make itself known in 23K miles, or less.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarocque
I know these threads get old and are really boring if you can't actually see the car but hopefully someone can chime in...

I am not actually looking for a 986 but I stumbled across a nice-looking Boxster S local to me. Car had its original 3.2l motor rebuilt to 3.6l using all the LN Engineering goodies (that I am trying to educate myself on). Rebuild was done at 75k miles back in 2011, now sitting at 98k miles.

Car is silver/black with factory hardtop included. Seller says convertible top operates as it should and no rips in canvas or window. Other than engine, bone stock. No accidents. One rear quarter repainted due to a scratch.

Being sold by older gentleman, lots of documentation. I think his price is low but I have no idea what these cars are worth. I am reluctant to post a link to his FS ad because I don't want someone else to snap it up. Seems motivated to sell.

Seems like it would be a fun little daily driver and perhaps even a fun track car with a few suspension tweaks and reliability mods.

Ballpark value?

Your description closely matches my Box which is hard to duplicate for less than $20,000. I see you have GT3 experience, once you drive this Box you will have to buy it as no stock Box will satisfy you like it will.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:41 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

There are Raby parts and Raby engines. Very different values as his engines can run $15-30k but parts to a rebuilder mean much less. So ask what it is. The devil is in the details. An example is what IMS was used? Single row, single row pro or The Solution? RND or Raby rebuild are two different levels of rebuild.

I sold a 2001S with new Michelins and Optima battery with ~60k miles on the chassis for $13.5k 5 years ago. I'd expect the same car being 16 years old now would be less.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:08 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I just bought this car...
Old 08-22-2017, 07:08 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Congrats. Decided I didn't need another one right now.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:13 PM
navair
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw that car in the San Diego craiglist by accident-it was hard to believe he really meant a 3.6. Congrats, let us know how it is!
Old 10-21-2017, 04:30 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
There was a genuine Raby 3.6 sold recently on Bring A Trailer. It went for an astonishingly low premium over a regular 3,2.
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/200...che-boxster-s/
So a diy 3.6 ,even with LN parts is of questionable premium value to a 3,2.
Suggest you first get some Boxster experience with a cheaper 3,2 and see how you like the cars.
First step is to find a competent,honest Indie - because you will need him to do the PPI on the 3.6.
Make sure the 6 speed manual is absolutely perfect -test when it is cold. They are very expensive to repair.
More important -is it Smog-legal ans what does your Insurance Company think about the extra power mods?
Yes, I think I know which car you are looking at.
http://lnengineering.com/wp/wp-conte...-a-Porsche.pdf

I hate you for turning me onto the BAT website. I'm hooked now...

Quick Reply: Value of 2001 Boxster S