Notices

My Brain Hurts

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 12:48 AM
vdubr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Brain Hurts

Ok, I am building a 996 c4 cab for AutoX and some track days. I have been talking to people and looking at forums for months. I still have no idea what my setup should be. Some of what I am considering.

KW Cup Suspension.
Removing AWD
Front and rear GT3 bars
Fabspeed tune (complete fabspeed exhaust installed)
Quad turbo with nitrous (Just kidding)

Also, I need to do brakes this year. OEM rotors and Hawk pads?

And:
Change the oil pan?
Windage and scraper setup?
Center radiator?
Convertible top module? (wait, that's on the fun list)
Driver education? (actually kidding here too since that is a must)
Diet? (not the car, it's full leather)

Another question,
I am going to have a shop align it just like it is. I have factory 18's and I'm running 295/30 on the back and 225/40 on the front. I see 1 million opinions on this. How do I tell the shop to set it up? This is a well known Porsche race shop where I live so they have a clue but what is it that I want?

Addendum: This is not my daily but I will still street this car some.

I welcome any advice or contacts in the Colorado Springs/Denver area.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:33 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

As far as the AX side, are you attempting to build just a toy or are you attempting to be competitive in a specific class?
Old 06-06-2017, 06:20 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

What class are you shooting for? PCA or SCCA? If this is just for fun, I wouldn't do anything at all aside from an alignment and front swaybar; would be fun to autocross right like it easy.

Cab top mod is free and pretty easy; bend over and insulate one pin on the relay and ground another. (I can't recall the pin#s offhand, but I'm sure google knows.) Voila, as far as your top is concerned, you're always stopped with the e-brake on, even when rolling through a parking lot or in stop/go traffic. Like Porsche SHOULD have done from the factory! At least they got it together for 987/997.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

what exhaust setup of ours are you currently running? I hope you're enjoying it! And what year is your car? A tune would definitely provide an increase in power and performance, and is a crucial part of maximizing performance. You would experience greatly improved throttle response as well which is ideal for AutoX and tracking. I'd be happy to set you up with a tune, I'll shoot over a PM

Old 06-14-2017, 03:08 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I second burglar and sjfehr; as far as performance mods it doesn't need anything more than good track pads, good brake fluid, and a good alignment. Save your pennies for maintenance.

Reliability adders like the 3rd radiator, low temp thermostat, oil pan skid plate, deep sump, IMS solution, spin-on oil filter adapter, etc, definitely don't hurt. Also recommend you clean your radiators.

I also really recommend serious duty oil like XP9 for use on track. My 40th absolutely destroyed the viscosity of some fresh DT40 oil over one weekend at VIR.

I think oil starvation is the one thing that will really get you at an HPDE; hence the advantages of a deep sump, accusump system, oil pan baffles, etc.

Also since it's a cab, a roll bar is a must really. And, at that point, you may as well get harnesses and a HANS device.

Quick Reply: My Brain Hurts