Notices

Koni Yellow 996 AX Settings

Old 05-19-2017, 02:29 PM
SPEEDEM0N
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni Yellow 996 AX Settings

Hey guys,

Been running the 996 in AX for a while now & recently installed a set of Koni Yellows... If I remember right, some of you ran some yellows in AX...

What would you recommend as a baseline setting?

If I understand right, These are only adjustable on rebound right?

To tune out understeer, I would have to set for maximum rebound restriction up front (max stiff) & medium to low rebound restriction (medium to low stiffness) at the rear to try & keep the weight shift up front..?

Thanks in advance!

Steve aka SPEEDEM0N

Old 05-19-2017, 03:16 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEEDEM0N
Hey guys,

Been running the 996 in AX for a while now & recently installed a set of Koni Yellows... If I remember right, some of you ran some yellows in AX...

What would you recommend as a baseline setting?

If I understand right, These are only adjustable on rebound right?

To tune out understeer, I would have to set for maximum rebound restriction up front (max stiff) & medium to low rebound restriction (medium to low stiffness) at the rear to try & keep the weight shift up front..?

Thanks in advance!

Steve aka SPEEDEM0N

Most likely the opposite.

Load is attracted to the stiffer path.

Shameless plug: You could go read the latest post at edfishjr.com and see how common this mistake is.

Last edited by edfishjr; 05-19-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:58 PM
msterling
Advanced

Here is a chart I refer to often WHEN I get confused.
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2017, 11:49 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Remember shocks (mostly) only affect transition. Once you reach steady state they're not really doing anything anymore.

Trying to change mid corner balance with shock settings will only make you pull your hair out. Use tire pressures, alignment, swaybar instead.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:53 AM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by burglar
Remember shocks (mostly) only affect transition. Once you reach steady state they're not really doing anything anymore.

Trying to change mid corner balance with shock settings will only make you pull your hair out. Use tire pressures, alignment, swaybar instead.
Good point.

I guess I jumped to the conclusion the OP was talking about corner entry, but there's no actual indication of that, as written.

The chart posted by msterling has to be taken lightly in that it doesn't hold true for all phases of a corner. (And the tire pressure stuff can be safely ignored as not holding true at all.)
Old 05-20-2017, 11:38 AM
msterling
Advanced

The chart I posted is just a starting point as suspension setup is way more complicated than what can be shown in a simple chart. That chart is OLD and is general purpose. Things like tires have changed dramatically. Nevertheless setting the front shocks to full stiff could induce more understeer at corner entry depending on steering input. Steady state in a big sweeper with a mostly stock 996 is a different story. More front negative camber could make a big difference. I only have direct experience with my 1988 Carerra and and an E46 M3. They are really different in how they react to suspension tuning despite being rear drive.

I have some experience but I am far from a suspension setup master. I have had good luck getting tips from and work done by a shop that knows performance setups for the specific cars. Advice from forums like this one is useful but not always accurate or often not applicable to a specific car with specific modifications. The OP does not state what else has been done to his car. Tires, wheels, springs, sway bars, camber helpers and alignment settings to name a few.

Last edited by msterling; 05-20-2017 at 12:04 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Koni Yellow 996 AX Settings