Notices

PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 01:03 PM
SteveG
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts
Default PDK?

I'm a newby autox, maybe do some DE haven't raced since go-karts as a teenager on a dirt track; did one day at Lime Rock last Fall and I'm hooked; I'm retired, but this would probably only happen 3 -4 weekends a season as I'm in the NE. I'm thinking about buying an 09 Cayman S with PDK, PASM, Sport Chron, it hasn't been tracked. I'm thinking that learning to "Heel and toe" at this stage is not time well spent (near geezer status here) and hence my thinking as to going for PDK; this particular car doesn't have paddles (I see Vivid Racing has a $2K paddle wheel with enhancements, which might be feasible). If I went with a manual I would probably add Auto-Blip or some mod, but probably not much in the way of expensive mods. I would use the car off track for pleasure, but the chief reason is to get mid-engine performance in the summer.

Thoughts appreciated on usefulness of PDK care and feeding under the above conditions. I see a great thread in the 997 forum about indep shop/DIY repair of PDK; I know there are other Caymans out there with sophisticated mods that are not out of my price range, but I'm wondering if that might be too much equipment for a novice. Is there a more appropriate forum for this question?
Old 01-23-2020, 08:26 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 599 Posts

Buy the car that makes you happy.

In the real world of autocross, at least for our club, I shift from 1st to second gear and it stays in that gear for the duration of the run. I try to get into 2nd as soon as I can and things like auto blip or other shifting nannies are unimportant.

It sounds like your autocross goals have more to do with having fun and learning new skills. If that's the case, you do not need to be concerned with niggling details about PDK or modifications to your car. If fact, I wouldn't even think about anything in the hardware department except tires and a helmet. A stock Cayman S would be an excellent choice for autocross. Keep it simple.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:23 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Buy the car that makes you happy.

In the real world of autocross, at least for our club, I shift from 1st to second gear and it stays in that gear for the duration of the run. I try to get into 2nd as soon as I can and things like auto blip or other shifting nannies are unimportant.

It sounds like your autocross goals have more to do with having fun and learning new skills. If that's the case, you do not need to be concerned with niggling details about PDK or modifications to your car. If fact, I wouldn't even think about anything in the hardware department except tires and a helmet. A stock Cayman S would be an excellent choice for autocross. Keep it simple.
+1
Old 11-13-2020, 02:58 PM
Robert Nixon
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

agree with the above, the PDK can shift faster than I can, on track or autocross, and it's a blast. Driver skill is the most important thing to invest in, getting a coach at a HPDE, or have some ride with you (or ride with a faster driver) in AutoX.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:24 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveG
I'm a newby autox, maybe do some DE haven't raced since go-karts as a teenager on a dirt track; did one day at Lime Rock last Fall and I'm hooked; I'm retired, but this would probably only happen 3 -4 weekends a season as I'm in the NE. I'm thinking about buying an 09 Cayman S with PDK, PASM, Sport Chron, it hasn't been tracked. I'm thinking that learning to "Heel and toe" at this stage is not time well spent (near geezer status here) and hence my thinking as to going for PDK; this particular car doesn't have paddles (I see Vivid Racing has a $2K paddle wheel with enhancements, which might be feasible). If I went with a manual I would probably add Auto-Blip or some mod, but probably not much in the way of expensive mods. I would use the car off track for pleasure, but the chief reason is to get mid-engine performance in the summer.

Thoughts appreciated on usefulness of PDK care and feeding under the above conditions. I see a great thread in the 997 forum about indep shop/DIY repair of PDK; I know there are other Caymans out there with sophisticated mods that are not out of my price range, but I'm wondering if that might be too much equipment for a novice. Is there a more appropriate forum for this question?
Top drivers have said that PDK & Sport Chrono are necessary for AS national competitiveness, so you are choosing the correct car by that standard. Instead of worrying about heel and toe, which has very rare usefulness in auto-x, think about learning to left foot brake. I'm 65 and I just started doing it after 11 years of auto-x!
Old 11-13-2020, 04:39 PM
SteveG
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by edfishjr
Top drivers have said that PDK & Sport Chrono are necessary for AS national competitiveness, so you are choosing the correct car by that standard. Instead of worrying about heel and toe, which has very rare usefulness in auto-x, think about learning to left foot brake. I'm 65 and I just started doing it after 11 years of auto-x!
UPDATE, I bought a Cayman S Black Edition with PDK and paddle shifters, so true to above statement, I won't be concerned with heel/toe. BTW, Been using left foot since I drove a cab in NYC 30 years ago.

Last edited by SteveG; 11-14-2020 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:02 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Just my feeling but there is no way you can be faster in a manual over a pdk in autocross. Prior to my current car, I always drove manual cars, and competed on a Nat'l level for the past 10 years. A good friend asked if my car was a manual incredulously knowing I bought a pdk, and I responded, "you, I and Senna can't shift like this pdk when pressed". The car is launch control is rather hilarious as it searches for grip on even the grippiest 200TW tires.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:44 AM
OldRallyist
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

The real advantage of the PDK over the manual at autocross is the shorter second gear ratio. Think about it the top speed at autocross is supposed to be about 70 mph which is approximately the same speed available in the PDK's second gear while a manual has a second gear the reaches a bit over 80 mph. Now which will be quicker exiting that 35 to 40 mph corner?
Old 11-29-2020, 10:52 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I think you'll really enjoy PDK, especially for the track. Among the technical stuff already noted, not having to spend time and hand-eye coordination downshifting lets you concentrate more on corner entry, and makes learning the critical skill of trail-braking a whole lot easier.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:05 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 494 Likes on 362 Posts

A plus with the 09-12 987.2 PDKs is Sport and Sport+ can be dealer added for non-Sport Chrono cars. Sport and Sport+ also dumb down the nannies and change the throttle map and shift points. Depending on the number of track events I would have the PDK fluid and rear diff changed sooner.

Quick Reply: PDK?