Notices

Silly me: I bought a 944 for E-street Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 12:22 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As an aside, if you do end up buying a 986, it should probably get a new thread.

Also, I forgot to mention that Paul's opinion is that the car's uncompetitive even with the wider wheels. He pointed out that 2018 was the year of massive rain, and he had real rain tires (PS4S) in a mid-engined car.

Last edited by PedalFaster; 12-01-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:52 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
As an aside, if you do end up buying a 986, it should probably get a new thread.

Also, I forgot to mention that Paul's opinion is that the car's uncompetitive even with the wider wheels. He pointed out that 2018 was the year of massive rain, and he had real rain tires (PS4S) in a mid-engined car.
Good info.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:07 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

There you go crushing dreams again. I still want to do it.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:51 AM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by burglar
There you go crushing dreams again. I still want to do it.

I've always thought that weight has more to do with performance in the wet than anything else, though I don't know why. The ND1, being ~500lbs lighter, probably can't be beat in serious rain. I certainly felt that way with the 944. I had a good tire width to weight ratio which worked pretty well in the dry but in the wet I got hammered by the Miatas, and I consider myself reasonably fast in the wet. (Part of the problem may have been being unable to get the shocks soft enough, however, plus the harsh bumpstops.)

That said, I'm not discounting his opinion that the Boxster S is uncompetitive even with 8s & 10s.

Dixie Winter this past weekend was another case of taking a knife to a gun fight in CS (S2000 vs ND2). I enjoyed the challenge but being the fastest S2000 and 3rd place overall only goes so far. I discount day 1 because of unfamiliarity with the car, plus trying left foot braking and plus a course that favored the ND2 (the S2000s spent too much time on the limiter at 60mph while the ND2s forged ahead.) Day 2 the course was fairer, I used right foot braking and drove about as good as I'm capable of but still way off Rick Cone's pace. I'm not sure I want to assume the plucky underdog role again.

Man, the S2000 is a really fun autocross car! Especially when it's on properly-valved Penske shocks.

Last edited by edfishjr; 12-08-2020 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Silly me: I bought a 944 for E-street Autocross