Notices

Boxster S -- PSM or no PSM for AutoX

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 11:22 AM
BmacIL
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by saxonite
For the first event and a half I ran by 997.1 with PSM on, hoping the ABD would help act like a LSD but I seemed much slower than normal when comparing pax times. In my previous car I was almost always top 10 out of 80-100 drivers for the past several seasons. I turned off PSM and instantly dropped 1.6 seconds on a 45 second course. The car felt more neutral to slight oversteer vs understeering everywhere.
PSM off always.

Stock 997.1 only understeers slightly on corner exit, and as you assessed, neutral to slight oversteer in transitions. I went to Tarett GT3 front bar (26.8 mm) for this reason - though after mistakenly going with the oversized (28.6 mm) version for most of the last year. The GT3 front bar strikes the right balance for autocross, IMO.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:34 PM
Nokones
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I noticed that RPM Rev-Matching feature is disabled if you have the PSM disabled. I wonder why?

Kenny Mitchell
nokones@kenmitchell.com
2015 Porsche Cayman GTS Manual Tranny, X73, PTV, without PASM, Custom Valved Shocks for Autocrossing
Old 06-19-2023, 11:35 PM
WillyDaP
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 151 Posts

Right now you are running on Flintstones and time to spring for Bridgestones ( or something else ). You have a beautiful car, a solid performance machine and I personally would not autocross anything on tires 8-9 years old --- definitely not take them on the track.

The change in tire technology, tread design and compounding , you are going to go so much faster you will question why you waited, imho.

Quick Reply: Boxster S -- PSM or no PSM for AutoX