Notices

2017 Autocross Videos

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 09:05 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 2017 Autocross Videos

This is a thread to post your autocross videos!

To get us started: NASA Mid Atlantic had their Chillycross a bit late this year, but was as chilly as ever with morning temps in the 20s and a high of just 44 in the afternoon. This was the first year my wife and I had tire blankets, and it made a huge difference. I wasn't happy with how I drove and I know I left a lot of time out there today, but it was still a ton of fun and great to be driving again after the winter break!

As an FYI to those new to this, you don't need a $500 GoPro for in-car video; you can literally rubber-band your cellphone to your rearview mirror and get great data you can analyze during and after the event. (And share with your friends online. ) I usually use an inexpensive cellphone app for data with a cheap bluetooth OBDII reader and a 10Hz bluetooth GPS reciever (QStarz 818XT) and review it in between runs to see where I can find more speed. I like aLapRecorderHD on my android, but there are a number of apps out there like Solostorm ($$$ but good), Harry's Lap Timer (iphone & android), and TrackAddict. Phone mounts tend to vibrate a lot, so I normally overlay the data onto my gopro video with RaceRender which is pretty straightforward and free for autocross-length videos.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Matt Harrington
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my first event of the year with CCR SCCA at zMAX Dragway. Somehow managed to get first in AS in the sea of vettes.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:52 PM
Matt Harrington
8th Gear

Here's my first event of the year with CCR SCCA at zMAX Dragway. Somehow managed to get first in AS in the sea of vettes.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:26 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Both of those lots look great, especially the CCR SCCA. Bummed I missed that 3/5 event at VMP, not too far of a drive from DC.

This is the last round of the Refrigerator Bowl out at Summit Point. It's almost autocross, more of trackcross... It's the only autocross-ish series I know that runs through the winter here. This was the Feb 5 afternoon heat when the temp finally hit the 40s. It's a fun way to scratch the itch during the offseason... While exercising reasonable caution on last season's tires, in the cold, surrounded by concrete walls

Last edited by DeanClevername; 04-25-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:05 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

[QUOTE=Matt Harrington;14012023]Here's my first event of the year with CCR SCCA at zMAX Dragway. Somehow managed to get first in AS in the sea of vettes.

Interesting start configuration.

217 racers!
Old 03-12-2017, 06:33 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

first event in my new to me 2011 Turbo S. It's a bit different than my old 2003 4S ;-)

Last edited by kpl; 05-23-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:18 PM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Fort Myers Pro Solo. Only Sat videos as Sunday was a thrash to replace a broken axle.
Sunday started like this Got is swapped in about an hour, in time to make my final runs.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:39 AM
kpl
Racer

Last edited by kpl; 05-23-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:23 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Managed to stave off a number of really quick drivers to take FTD and top pax at ODR-SCCA today.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:26 PM
kpl
Racer

Last edited by kpl; 05-23-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:02 AM
webweaver
Intermediate

Videos of my best runs from this past weekend's autocross with the Golden Gate Lotus Club at Marina, CA. The event was split in two sessions, one for the morning and one for the afternoon. In the afternoon session we drove the same course in reverse, with some minor modifications for safety reasons.

This was the first event I ran my GT4 on Bridgestone RE-71R tires, so I experimented quite a bit with tire pressures. See the description of each videos for more information.

Morning run:

Afternoon run:
Old 04-26-2017, 12:02 AM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Had a chance to run at FexExField with the NCC BMW club last Saturday, except it rained all day. I was pretty challenged by the conditions. Some parts of the lot had way more grip than I'd think, others way less. Somehow didn't record my fastest run, but this gives an idea of the conditions in spite of being 1 sec slower and really tiptoeing through the first section.

I think I learned a lot in just 4 runs, wish I had signed up for the afternoon session too.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:16 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

We had our autocross on a local track today and took full advantage of the space for a fast course, and so much fun! I had cone problems, but managed to get in a fast clean run to take top PAX for the day, even managed to put .6 pax on a fast driver from a bordering region who narrowly beat me for top overall index at the state championship two years ago which felt redeeming, hah.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:19 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ran different compounds front and rear and chose a too high tire pressure in the rear tires resulting in a drift session instead of a fast autox run.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:18 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
We had our autocross on a local track today and took full advantage of the space for a fast course, and so much fun! I had cone problems, but managed to get in a fast clean run to take top PAX for the day, even managed to put .6 pax on a fast driver from a bordering region who narrowly beat me for top overall index at the state championship two years ago which felt redeeming, hah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-eYF_spamk
Steven, I think you are getting faster!

But, if you don't mind me saying: There's still a bit of choppiness in the driving. Now, I'm as digital a driver as they come, so I understand it completely and am working hard to overcome it. But the residual choppiness I think I see in the video (and I see it in my videos, too) tells me that speed is being left on the table.

If we were going faster and riding the limit closer we couldn't jerk the wheel so fast and still maintain control.

Quick Reply: 2017 Autocross Videos