Notices

718 as an Autocross Tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by burglar
You can get a set of custom-spec Forgestars for the price of one fancy forged wheel. I hear the lead time is pretty long though.
I suppose I could order now, planning ahead for next year. That's not a bad price, especially since I paid twice as much for HRE's built using the same cast spokes + roll forged barrel process. On the other hand, I did order from a company who understands that their roll formed barrels are not "forged". Forgestar seems to like using the word "forged" all over their website though their wheels have nothing to do with forging. They also use monoblock in the descriptions, like other companies use to describe their actual forged wheels. It makes me trust them less.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:51 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

http://www.modbargains.com/Porsche-G...yle-Wheels.htm

Well, if you don't mind going cheap and (likely) don't care about weight so much there's these. You'd need a ~10mm spacer in the rear.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:27 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by burglar
You can get a set of custom-spec Forgestars for the price of one fancy forged wheel. I hear the lead time is pretty long though.
I can confirm both. A full set of custom Forgestars will cost less than a set of off-the-shelf OZs from TireRack, but expect it to take a few months as they make every set to-order after you order it and they have a backlog.

I'm really happy with mine though it's a bit annoying to have to deal with hub rings and you'll need conical lug bolts. (Protip: lubricate the hub rings, you can't balance the wheels without removing them, and it and it makes it a LOT easier.)
Old 05-08-2018, 01:54 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
Yes, and the rear offset kills every off-the-shelf 19" option. Every off-the-shelf wheel I could find in my months of research is a 19x10 +40 rear..
There are still two options here:

1. Buy a 40 mm wheel and shave 3 mm off of the hub face, bringing the offset to a Street-legal 43 mm.

2. Buy a 9" or 9.5" wheel with a 40 mm offset, and have a wheel shop weld in a section to the barrel to increase the width to 10", and also shift the offset into the legal range in the process.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:17 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Signature monoblock forged to your specs

Originally Posted by Scooby921
I suppose I could order now, planning ahead for next year. That's not a bad price, especially since I paid twice as much for HRE's built using the same cast spokes + roll forged barrel process. On the other hand, I did order from a company who understands that their roll formed barrels are not "forged". Forgestar seems to like using the word "forged" all over their website though their wheels have nothing to do with forging. They also use monoblock in the descriptions, like other companies use to describe their actual forged wheels. It makes me trust them less.
You can order a SV-104 18 or 19 to meet your race specs. They have a section on this web site and a group buy I believe. I bought this exact wheel in Sept of last year with a powder coated black chrome finish 9 in offset of 47 f and 10 inch offset of 35 r. 18.5 lbs f and 19 lbs r. Porsche Signature, Ivan is the guy. Specify the hub hole opening to fit the Porsche crest cover. i am using RE71R's 255/35/18 F and 275/35/18 R. Fit is excellant. I do not run stock class, but in GT3 under PCA rules which allow for wider wheels.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:23 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 987.1 S won the Finger Lakes Championship Tour this weekend. I briefly chatted with the owner who seems to think the base 718 might be able to get it done in AS. The 987.1 S had 265/285s on 8.5s/10s, PASM, and 0.8 degrees of front camber. The 718 certainly seems able to get more camber, weighs less, and can run 8.5s/10.5s if you go with 19s.

Looking at results from the Champ Tour, AS's leader was 2.325 seconds faster over two days - so a base 718 would need to be 1.1625 seconds per day faster than a well prepared 987.1 S (62ish second course).

At Nationals, AS's leader was 1.04 seconds faster over two days - so the base 718 would have need to be 0.52 seconds faster per day (60ish second courses).

Finally, an unscientific comparison (not balancing for autocross setup, modern tire technology, or different conditions) at fastestlaps.com had the following:

HOCKENHEIM SHORT
987.1 S - 1:15.50
718 Base - 1:12.40

AUTOZEITUNG
987.1 S - 1:41.20
718 Base - 1:39.20

So . . . . . who wants to spend $65,000 and lure an alien to drive their base 718 to see if it can compete in AS?
Old 06-11-2018, 06:45 PM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts

I think a 718 can be very interesting option in AS. Looking up a few acceleration videos on YouTube it seems the PDK does about 71-72 mph in 2nd and the manual is good for 76-77mph. I think the PDK is the right choice on the 981 since the manual is far too tall. But on the 718 it'll pull pretty hard from just about any RPM and 76mph is pretty close to perfect to avoid 3rd on any normal course.

Seems like a properly built one is going to be at or very close to $70k, a very expensive experiment. Sport Chrono, PTV, and PASM are the must haves. Did a quick look and its nearly impossible to find one with PTV but a custom order can fix that.

I also wonder how it would compare to a 981 GTS if that was moved to AS.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:15 PM
cretinx
Racer

I can’t find anything to indicate that Sport Chrono has any autocross benefit for a manual base 718 other than weight reduction from a lighter wallet. All it seems to do from the literature is make the throttle jumpy.

As for PASM - unless the spring rate is appreciably different (can anyone confirm or deny?) I personally would spend that money on some nice custom valved shocks and save on the weight and complexity of electronic doohickeys. Correct me if I’m wrong, I’m new to this.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:54 PM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm also new to P cars but very fair points. I just considered them 'must haves' based on the earlier cars but may not be as important for a 718.

The biggest benefits I see for Sport Chrono are the dynamic engine mounts but not sure what the real world benefit of that is. Also gets auto rev matching but probably not be a problem since 2nd gear is tall enough anyway. You do get 'Sport Plus' mode which pre-conditions the turbo for better response but I think you get that in the 'Sport' mode for non-SC cars anyway. PDK cars get LC but I think manual is the way to go for a 718. So yeah, open to more feedback but looking like a marginal benefit to SC on a MT car.

For PASM, not sure about the rates but the car is 10mm lower. On the 987 cars PASM was preferred over the standard suspension. I am going to assume that holds true here too, if anything for the lower CG.

So yeah, maybe none of these are 'Must Haves'. Though I think I've been brainwashed by Porsche but I'd buy both of them anyway. I also think both options help with resale too so you do get some of it back.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:11 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also 4 way sport seat plus. Sport mode takes some more nannies off.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:44 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Originally Posted by cretinx
I can’t find anything to indicate that Sport Chrono has any autocross benefit for a manual base 718 other than weight reduction from a lighter wallet. All it seems to do from the literature is make the throttle jumpy.

As for PASM - unless the spring rate is appreciably different (can anyone confirm or deny?) I personally would spend that money on some nice custom valved shocks and save on the weight and complexity of electronic doohickeys. Correct me if I’m wrong, I’m new to this.

The largest benefit from Sport Chrono on 987 and 981 is the effect Sport Plus has on nannies: these cars are FRUSTRATING to drive at the hairy limit in normal or sport because the nannies keep ruining fun and costing time. Even with PSM disabled, it still engages during trailbraking which isn't necessarily bad (1-wheel magic braking could, in theory, be faster with than with normal braking), but... it also retards the throttle. For far too long afterwards. Ugh! Sport Chrono in Sport Plus also maintains full throttle right to the rev limiter (another important plus), and for PDK cars, changes shift programming to be more aggressive in gear selection and also different clutch programming for faster shifts that dump more power into the clutch (less smooth, more fast). I consider Sport Chrono the only "must-have" option for 987, even more important than PASM.

Maybe 718 is different, but I suspect they continued with the same philosophy as before; someone with a 718 will have to chime in.

Last edited by sjfehr; 06-12-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:38 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I have this thread bookmarked (see post 12) in the unlikely event I'll ever get my 987S.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:52 PM
cretinx
Racer

So wait - you're saying without sport Chrono you can other fully disable the nannies?
Old 06-16-2018, 06:41 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Originally Posted by cretinx
So wait - you're saying without sport Chrono you can other fully disable the nannies?
Correct. Even if you turn PSM off, the computer will automatically (and quietly) re-enable it whenever the brake pedal is pressed. The only workaround at present is disconnecting sensors to cause PSM to error out and disable itself, but this can severely impact PASM and also cause issues with some other systems that use data from many of the same sensors, like ABS.

There are also some GOOD things PSM does that aid performance; engine braking management, for instance. If you disable it (via button or sensor disconnect), you lose the good stuff, too. Sport Chrono in Sport+ mode fixes this all, and without the need for hacks.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:32 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

The 996 has the same PSM re-activate during braking and in high g's, but as soon as you're off the brakes the PSM is off again. Honestly, I've found it pretty helpful at autocross, but the 996 requires a lot of reeling in due to the poor balance.

Quick Reply: 718 as an Autocross Tool