Notices

718 as an Autocross Tool

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 06:17 PM
suprajayaz
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gauthke
Ya, I took some time to talk to Yury in grid about his set up. He ordered the car exactly as I would have minus the PCCB option. He mentioned to me that with the PDK down shifting to first was a non-penalty situation and that when on a 19" wheel the gearing still worked well for that low speed tight stuff that I really suffer with in my manual car. That said, he also mentioned that he felt the 18" set up was faster yet. I went directly to 18" so I can only speculate. What has me scratching my head right now is the wider 20" Carrera S wheel option in 2019 cars...11.5in rear! Hmm, could be a game changer.
Kit - Great day 2 runs at Nats. Does you car have PTV?
Old 10-18-2018, 02:38 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by gauthke
Ya, I took some time to talk to Yury in grid about his set up. He ordered the car exactly as I would have minus the PCCB option. He mentioned to me that with the PDK down shifting to first was a non-penalty situation and that when on a 19" wheel the gearing still worked well for that low speed tight stuff that I really suffer with in my manual car. That said, he also mentioned that he felt the 18" set up was faster yet. I went directly to 18" so I can only speculate. What has me scratching my head right now is the wider 20" Carrera S wheel option in 2019 cars...11.5in rear! Hmm, could be a game changer.
I was doing some gear calculations between the various tire sizes and comparing the redline in 2nd gear from the manual to PDK. Here is what I came up with:

There is definitely an advantage from a gearing prospective to the smaller wheel and tire setup, especially with the manual.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:35 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

I really sucked it up in Bristol on my base suspension base Cayman 718, manual transmission car. I had put bfg 1.5 Rival s on the front 18” and ran 275 18” re—71R rear. Holy mother of SUCK. I now am trying 1.5s 245 all around on 18x8” and 18x10”. Just ordered another set of 18” wheels with the 255/285 re-71r. I should have done that before !

With my base car with no performance options I was only able to get if I remember correctly.
-.9 and -1.0 up front
-1.6 each side in the rear.

How much camber were you guys with PASM on the base car able to get ?
How much camber on the S with the sport suspension ?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by LehmanZ06; 11-09-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:38 AM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Here's a 718 tip that some of you may or may not have known.

I just traded in my 718 Cayman base and picked up a 718 GTS, and one feature that stood out immediately is the difference of the anti-lag feature when going from Sport to Sport Plus. When I had my base 718 (which did not have Sport Chrono) I had read about there being a a feature on the 718s called Dynamic Boost. Here is a description of how it works:

"Porsche engineers placed a particular priority on achieving throttle response that is comparable to that of a naturally-aspirated engine. This is achieved by “pre-conditioning” the turbocharger under partial load during spirited driving when the Sport or Sport Plus mode is active. The bypass valve (wastegate) is closed, the timing angle is reduced and the throttle valve is opened slightly. This increased the rate of air flow through the engine which allows it to maintain a higher level of boost pressure. When the driver applies full throttle, the higher level of boost pressure noticeable improves the engine’s responsiveness and rate of torque buildup. This preconditioning varies depending on the selected drive mode Sport or Sport Plus. Furthermore, the new Dynamic Boost function improves throttle response when the driver lifts off the accelerator pedal during full acceleration and then gets back on it. At this time, the throttle valve remains wide open, while fuel injection is interrupted. As a result, boost pressure does not drop off completely, and the engine reacts promptly when the throttle is reapplied, comparable to a naturally aspirated engine. The effect is most pronounced in Sport and Sport Plus modes."

With my base 718 I never really found there to be a significant difference between regular and Sport in terms of reduced turbo lag, but now that I have the GTS with the Sport Chrono, throttle response is night and day going from Sport to Sport Plus. When driving in Sport Plus you can see that the boost never really falls completely off when you get off of the throttle, and sometime will hold >5lbs or so of boost off throttle, depending on the conditions. I never saw my base 718 hold boost like this. Does anyone have a base with Sport Chrono that can confirm this is not just specific to the S and GTS? Having driven both, I would highly recommend Sport Chrono, even with the 6spd manual, due to this feature alone.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:37 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswd62
Here's a 718 tip that some of you may or may not have known.

I just traded in my 718 Cayman base and picked up a 718 GTS, and one feature that stood out immediately is the difference of the anti-lag feature when going from Sport to Sport Plus. When I had my base 718 (which did not have Sport Chrono) I had read about there being a a feature on the 718s called Dynamic Boost. Here is a description of how it works:
"Porsche engineers placed a particular priority on achieving throttle response that is comparable to that of a naturally-aspirated engine. This is achieved by “pre-conditioning” the turbocharger under partial load during spirited driving when the Sport or Sport Plus mode is active. The bypass valve (wastegate) is closed, the timing angle is reduced and the throttle valve is opened slightly. This increased the rate of air flow through the engine which allows it to maintain a higher level of boost pressure. When the driver applies full throttle, the higher level of boost pressure noticeable improves the engine’s responsiveness and rate of torque buildup. This preconditioning varies depending on the selected drive mode Sport or Sport Plus. Furthermore, the new Dynamic Boost function improves throttle response when the driver lifts off the accelerator pedal during full acceleration and then gets back on it. At this time, the throttle valve remains wide open, while fuel injection is interrupted. As a result, boost pressure does not drop off completely, and the engine reacts promptly when the throttle is reapplied, comparable to a naturally aspirated engine. The effect is most pronounced in Sport and Sport Plus modes."

With my base 718 I never really found there to be a significant difference between regular and Sport in terms of reduced turbo lag, but now that I have the GTS with the Sport Chrono, throttle response is night and day going from Sport to Sport Plus. When driving in Sport Plus you can see that the boost never really falls completely off when you get off of the throttle, and sometime will hold >5lbs or so of boost off throttle, depending on the conditions. I never saw my base 718 hold boost like this. Does anyone have a base with Sport Chrono that can confirm this is not just specific to the S and GTS? Having driven both, I would highly recommend Sport Chrono, even with the 6spd manual, due to this feature alone.

No lift shift works nicely in CGTS Sport mode also.

Peter
Old 12-18-2018, 08:01 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

new T specs

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/prod...nce-16648.html
Old 12-18-2018, 09:38 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Is 718T the new name for 718, or another trim package? If so, what's the difference? The specs in that article look like a base 718.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:42 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

It's all the crap you wanted to add to your base 718 to make it more expensive. Porsche is just making it easier for you in the best tradition of customer service.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:57 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Is 718T the new name for 718, or another trim package? If so, what's the difference? The specs in that article look like a base 718.
It’s a trim package. If the 718 Cayman T ends up in AS, it would provide a slight advantage due to the PASM Sport Suspension and new dynamic transmission mounts. The weight savings will be minimal, since it seems like they skipped out on the lightweight glass and reduced sound deading (from what I can tell)
Old 12-19-2018, 09:00 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah, like the 911T it's a base model + all the performance options. Kinda like a GTS is an S with all the performance options.

The difference with the T models is that you couldn't option them up that way a la carte before - you couldn't get rear steer on a base 911 before, for example, or the 20mm lower suspension on a base 718.

Technically the only thing not parts bin is the seat fabrics, but they're really cool parts bin cars, IMO.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:13 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Sounds to me like they are treating the T as a different model, which means it will have to be classed for SCCA Solo. Meaning, it's not AS for national competition until someone requests it to be classed and that happens.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:52 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by edfishjr
Sounds to me like they are treating the T as a different model, which means it will have to be classed for SCCA Solo. Meaning, it's not AS for national competition until someone requests it to be classed and that happens.
Assuming we get the T here in America, I would expect them to class it in AS; however, based on how they handled the 2012 Cayman R, I'm not very optimistic. The justification the SAC gave for burying the 2012 Cayman R and Boxster Spyder in SS was "due to their low production numbers". I don't think the Cayman T is going to be limited in the same manner as those mentioned, so who knows, maybe it has a shot.

Last edited by chriswd62; 01-03-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:45 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

FYI. The draft 2019 SCCA Solo Rules just posted, and e-shock tuning was denied for all street classes.

https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules
Old 01-03-2019, 02:55 PM
sholzer
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Not really surprised based on the backlash it started. I am pretty neutral on whether is should be allowed or not, but I am happy I don't have to shell out the money for a controller now lol
Old 01-05-2019, 09:31 AM
Mport68
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswd62
FYI. The draft 2019 SCCA Solo Rules just posted, and e-shock tuning was denied for all street classes.

https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules
But according to fastrack it's still legal in SS for this season... So it will be interesting to see who invests that amount of coin for what could be one season and how it worked out for them. I know of at least one nationally competitive GT4 th at has already bought one.

Quick Reply: 718 as an Autocross Tool