Notices

Did my first AutoX Saturday (6/4)! Loved it!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 07:47 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did my first AutoX Saturday (6/4)! Loved it!

Although I still have more work to do this month on the car (87 944S) it was good enough for an AutoX event.

CVR has theirs in Hartford and we had a record number of drivers (63?) so the down side was we only got in four runs instead of six. This was my first motorsports event ever so was a little nervous about getting lost, how the car would do, etc.

First run was 63.554
Second Run was 58.053
Third run was 53.014 (my instructor was very happy with this time)

The fourth run felt faster but I saw I was going to be on the wrong side of a slalom so it didn't count. If we had time for two more runs that mistake would have been corrected.

I came in 6th for the novices (15 entries).

Instructor was pleased as I was setting up corners even on my first run. I guess watching all this racing (and paying attention to it) pays off a little.

Now on to learning, learning more, and more to start dialing this in to best myself each time. No matter how good I thought I did I know I can do better and I'm just getting started.

I guess I'm hooked!

Chris
Old 06-10-2016, 08:50 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Congrats!

Now that you've taken the first hit off the crack pipe, you're in danger of a lifetime of standing around in parking lots on Sundays.

Funny that 63 is a record, we can top 200 for locals here.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:00 PM
majormojo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job, Chris! Welcome to the club. A lot of new autoxers want to immediately start making changes to the car, but the experienced people will tell you that you should work on driver, driver, driver, tires, car - in that order. There is always something new to learn or improve.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:04 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by majormojo
Nice job, Chris! Welcome to the club. A lot of new autoxers want to immediately start making changes to the car, but the experienced people will tell you that you should work on driver, driver, driver, tires, car - in that order. There is always something new to learn or improve.
Oh yes Driver for sure! ...and when I say work on the car I mean, clutch disk, oil pressure valve in head, replace torque tube, fix exhaust leak, RMS, pilot bearing, and I do have two new axles to install possibly.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:12 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

It's fun, isn't it??? I am still amazed how few Porsche drivers (or sports car owners in general) do it.

If you get the chance, sign up for an autocross school or open test & tune day: both are great chances to get a lot of seat time in.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:37 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

My 2nd event back on the 9th didn't go so well as I had put new half shafts in the week earlier and the left broke within the 1st 100 feet of my first run.

I got the flatbed home and rebuilt my original ones instead. Don't use A1 Cardone.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:41 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I just did my first one with NNJR. It was a lot of fun. I really didn't think I would like AutoX (prefer the "track") but I was wrong.

AutoX provides the same "fix" to your driving addiction as a track day plus they're cheaper, safer, closer, and usually more often.

Definitely worth a try if you've never done it.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:20 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by badabing
I just did my first one with NNJR. It was a lot of fun. I really didn't think I would like AutoX (prefer the "track") but I was wrong.

AutoX provides the same "fix" to your driving addiction as a track day plus they're cheaper, safer, closer, and usually more often.

Definitely worth a try if you've never done it.
Absolutely! Although I broke an axle on the 2nd AutoX I did I have since gotten the car running and driving great...other than it just needs a setup. I'm going to miss this weekend's event (vacation) but I'll see if I can get to the SCCA one at the end of the month.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:30 AM
jmazz
Instructor

If you are looking for an event near the end of the month you should consider the PCA Zone 1 Autocross at Ft. Devens, MA. http://www.zone1.pca.org/

It might be a drive for you but Devens is a great spot for autocross. Do a youtube search for it and watch some runs.

Of course you can also come up for any of the regular NCR or NER events too.

Quick Reply: Did my first AutoX Saturday (6/4)! Loved it!